Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Speakers

Status
Not open for further replies.

TekNoir

I have recently had about one-hundred small speakers donated to me. The speakers have 64 ohms stamped onto their backs and I assume that this is their impedance. Nearly every schematic that I have ever seen referenced using either a 4 or 8 ohm speaker.

I have to admit that I only have a general working knowledge of impedance and most discussions about impedance only mentioned matching between either high-Z or low-Z. The differences mentioned were what I would consider somewhat extreme, perhaps 8 ohm for low impedance, versus 1k ohm for high impedance or thereabouts.

What I am asking is whether or not I would be able to use these 64 ohm speakers with virtually any amplifier circuit with a low output impedance or is 64 ohms high enough that I will need to do some sort of high impedance matching? What general design changes should I be considering when trying to use a 64 ohm speaker in a circuit that originally called for an 8 ohm?

Thanks in advance...

Edit: As another non-related question, I have noticed that whenever anyone uses the word "ohm" in a post, it turns into an invalid hyperlink. Is there a particular reason for this?"

there should be no problem
but if you want then you can connect them in parrell 4 connected in parrell
would be 8ohm

That's correct, there is no problem.

The most significant result of using a higher impedance load will be a reduction in power.
For a given voltage across the load, the power developoed in 64 ohms will be 8 times less than that developed in 8. (It's directly proportional to the change in impedance.)

Sounds a lot doesn't it? However, it takes a difference of 10 times for the difference to be perceived as a change in volume of 50% (or 2, depending upon whether it's a decrease or an increase.)

8 x 64 ohms in parallel (not 4) would result in 8.

We have 64ohm ones at college, I think they are intended to test things, as the high impedance means they can be driven from low power sources like op-amps without causing too much damage.

You could always make a wall of speakers :lol:

Edit: As another non-related question, I have noticed that whenever anyone uses the word "ohm" in a post, it turns into an invalid hyperlink. Is there a particular reason for this?"

click on it: ohm

it is a basic tutorial in the "theory article" section of this forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back