Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Speaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rumieus

I have a siren circuit, which use a 8Ω speaker as output.
I try using 8Ω 1W & 8Ω 5W speaker and of course the more W the louder the speaker is.
My question is:
What if i use 10Ω speaker or more as output?
What's the use of Ω label in speaker?

01010100 01101000 01100001 01101110 01101011 01011001 01101111 01110101

I have a siren circuit, which use a 8Ω speaker as output.
I try using 8Ω 1W & 8Ω 5W speaker and of course the more W the louder the speaker is.
My question is:
What if i use 10Ω speaker or more as output?
What's the use of Ω label in speaker?

A 1W speaker can handle a maximum 1W of amplifier output power. Also a 5W speaker needs more than 1W of power to sound louder than the 1W speaker.
Ω is the impedance or resistance of the voice coil inside a speaker. You have to use the specified Ω speaker in an amplifier output.
Otherwise it will affect the sound output or the amplifier performance.

The impedance of the speaker (in ohms) determines the load it will place on the siren output circuits. A lower impedance speaker will draw more current and therefore take more power. You can easily calculate the theoretical values of current and power using Ohms Law.

The power rating of the speaker should not be taken as an indicator of how loud it will sound; a 1W speaker might be more efficient and therefore sound louder than a 5W model of the same impedance.

If you overload the amplifier, its output devices will be stressed and possibly damaged. If you overload a speaker, it too may be destroyed or damaged. So be careful. Do some calculations!

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back