Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Speaker help

Status
Not open for further replies.

madmikejt12

hi, i have been having trouble with my speakers and i was wondering if you could help.

I decided to modify my speakers so i had my amp inside the pc with volume control and power LED sticking out of the front.
Anyway, i extended the jack, added a switch and split the speaker o/p from the amp into 2 (shown in pic below) i was getting awfull sound from the speakers so i checked all the connections, made sure nothing was shorting out etc and now it gives good sound. However, when i increase the volume to above a certain amount, i get a high pitch sound and the LED goes dimmer (with or without sound playing)
Anyone got any ideas why this is happening please?

Diagram: **broken link removed**

Front of computer: **broken link removed**
Thanks, Mike

sorry, the blue and black wires are connected to 2 seperate jacks (2 blue on one, two black on the other) not straight to the 2 speakers

Your single-pole switch is shorting the amplifier outputs together.
To switch stereo speakers, you need a double-pole switch so that the amplifiers are separated from each other.

you meen like a 6-pin one? like this (bottom view):

Attachments

• switch_581.jpg
    switch_581.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 537
because that is what switch i have got, but i have only used 1 row (as shown in the diagram in my 1st post)

Good, you found a DPDT switch. Wire it like this:

Attachments

• switch.png
    switch.png
    13.1 KB · Views: 535
ok, thanks for that, should this stop the high pitch noise then?

whilst we are on the topic of speakers, the mini flat speakers dont produce much bass, its not bad, just not alot of it and it is slightly higher pitched than usual. Thiss all stops when i put my finger on it, is this because it isnt boxed and too much airis getting at it?

Edit: i have just had a proper look at your switch diagram, and i noticed it had left and right channels, i only have one (right i think) with 4 wires going to it (2 for 1 set of speakers and 2 for the other) and i want 1 OR the other to come on, so would this work? (sorry, the 1stdiagram was misleading as it had 2 seperate wires comeing out of the amp)
**broken link removed**
Sorry for the confusing pic
Thanks,
Mike

If you didnt do it, swap the two black wires that are connected to the switch.

Since your amp has 4 output wires the it gotta be a stereo amp with a left channel and a right channel.

It's too bad that you didn't label the wires when you disconnected the original speakers. One channel could have blue wires and the other channel black wires as in my sketch.
Or one channel could have a blue and a black wire and the other channel the other blue and black wire. Then one blue wire goes with one black wire and it is easy to get them mixed-up.
You don't know what you have, and I don't know what you have. Good luck.

Attachments

• switch_again.png
    switch_again.png
    24.2 KB · Views: 491
ok, i will try those soon, thanks for the help :)

hi, the 1st diagram worked, thanks :D i can now listen to loud music clearly.

I think my explinations of what type of amp it is were confusing, i was using 1 output (2 conections) with 4 wires comeing from it BUT, there are actualy 2 outputs (but i am only using 1)

Thanks again for your help :)
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back