Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Speaker for robot

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.madisound.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=8267

Drive it with an LM1875 for 20W + 82dB/w = 95w peak. Should be good for producing a normal spoken human voice in a reasonable fashion.

*The spec sheet says 85dB/2.83V sensitivity. That's a 2W drive level at 4ohm, so you have to make a -3dB correction for the proper 4 ohm efficiency. Just in case you run into that elsewhere. They do that to make it look better at a glance.

Not to knock 3v0, but also notice that the sensitivities that the drivers he linked to were measured at 10cm, whereas the Peerless (which is much more expensive) is stated at 1m. Point sources of sound lose intensity at 6dB per doubling of distance - 1m is 100x as far away as 10cm. I'll leave the math on that one to you. Short story is everything costs money, and you really really have to read the data sheet (to note things like sensitivity claims instead of efficiency claims and the measurement distance. Everyone wants their stuff to look good on paper).

Last edited:
I do not want to use surplus units because of unknow condition, and there is no way of knowing how long they will be available.

There are two nice shiny new speakers sitting on my desk. One is almost exactly as large as it can be and still fit the case endwall. The other is much smaller. Both can be ordered through Mouser.

With luck I can get back to that project soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back