Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Speaker Cable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lolz I bet the city sure loved him for that...

I just finished installing my speakers. I put in 16 AWG wire and my problem with loose connection disappeared. The sound quality increased 2 but that’s mostly due to the good corner placement. Anyways thanks for your suggestions!

When a speaker is placed in a corner then the sound energy from the rear and sides is reflected towards the front resulting in bass boost compared to the speaker sitting in the middle of a room.

Midrange and high frequencies are not affected because they are directional and therefore they are already focussed towards the front.

Speakon and 1/4" phone plugs are industry standard for heavy duty audio connections, typically on high power amplifiers. They hold up well and you can use heavy guage wire. As for solid copper wire, it's way too stiff to work with and most connectors will suffer a demise from it. Low oxygen speaker wire is supposed to be good stuff but is pricey. I simply use stranded #14 two conductor w/ braided shield. I pump a conservative 300watts rms per channel through it without any ill perceived sonics. Sometimes people get too hung up on the use and specs of connecting cables, gold connectors and such, often not realizing that the tiny bit of sonic difference can only be detected or measured with specialized equipment.... not the human ear. Gold connectors are a marketing scam, especially when the entire audio signal path isn't seeing gold connections !

I found that the per-foot cost of ordinary 14/3 "outdoor extension cords" is lower than the same gauge and length of "speaker wire". I remove the ends, as I don't want my speakers cooked. The extra coating hopefully helps protect from rodents in my crawl space.

I always HIDE my speaker box

audioguru said:
When a speaker is placed in a corner then the sound energy from the rear and sides is reflected towards the front resulting in bass boost compared to the speaker sitting in the middle of a room.

Midrange and high frequencies are not affected because they are directional and therefore they are already focussed towards the front.

This is very true when you place a speaker (woofer) in a corner the sound is MORE than when you place in the middle of the room. Due to reflected sound coming towards the front resulting a BASS BOOST as you mentioned.

I always HIDE my woofers under the computer table or under the bed to get MORE BASS.
When I place the woofer in the middle of the room the BASS is worst & the quality is poor.

I have 25W subwoofer circuit which I built in my own, SUPER quality after hiding the subwoofer otherwise NO more BASS.

If I need more BASS by placing the speaker system in any place in the house then I really need a high power output amplifier or must design the subwoofer box in a different manner.

But I see some original 30-50w subwoofer systems they can place the sub box in any place in the house no need to hide somewhere else.

mneary said:
I found that the per-foot cost of ordinary 14/3 "outdoor extension cords" is lower than the same gauge and length of "speaker wire". I remove the ends, as I don't want my speakers cooked. The extra coating hopefully helps protect from rodents in my crawl space.

I mostly used to this method.Taking flexible AC wiring wires to connect my speakers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back