Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Speaker Balance Control

Status
Not open for further replies.

jack0987

I have two switches like this and want to create a balance control between two speakers.

20200306_025547.jpg

These are the rough ranges of my ohm readings

1 + 2 - 0 to 34
1 + 3 - 7 to 35
2 + 3 - 7 to 0

what does the schematic look like?
How do I wire them?

A balance control is high resistance and is connected to the inputs of an amplifier, not a low resistance connected to the amplifier's output.

A balance control is high resistance and is connected to the inputs of an amplifier, not a low resistance connected to the amplifier's output.

Only a high value balance control is high resistance, you can get low value, high wattage, controls for exactly what he's trying to do - however, they are expensive. You can even get them already mounted in boxes with 100V line transformers, or on their own for low impedance systems.

Essentially it's a vocal PA type component.

Only a high value balance control is high resistance, you can get low value, high wattage, controls for exactly what he's trying to do - however, they are expensive. You can even get them already mounted in boxes with 100V line transformers, or on their own for low impedance systems.

Essentially it's a vocal PA type component.

This is what I have. It appears to be an L-Pad and I may be trying to misuse it as a balance control.

On each of the stereo channels, I have two speakers. A 3-way speaker and a sub-woofer. The sub-woofer has a high frequency filter (it's a coil) built in.
I have connected them in parallel.
To me, the 3-way sounds much more pronounced than the sub-woofer and I want to tone it back a bit.

I have numbered the pins on my L-Pad in the sequence I believe is correct but not sure. Please check.

At present, I am using the L-Pad to tone back the 3-way.

L-PAD1.jpg

L-PAD.jpg

It's going to be difficult to use as a 'balance' control - simply fit it as a volume control on the speaker that's too loud, as per the diagram in post #4.

If you want to try it as a balance, try '+' in on pin 2 and '+' out on pin 1 to one speaker and pin 3 to the other speaker, join all three '-' together, with no '-' connection to the pot.

It's going to be difficult to use as a 'balance' control - simply fit it as a volume control on the speaker that's too loud, as per the diagram in post #4.

If you want to try it as a balance, try '+' in on pin 2 and '+' out on pin 1 to one speaker and pin 3 to the other speaker, join all three '-' together, with no '-' connection to the pot.

Thanks. Using it as an L-Pad on the dominant speaker solves my problem for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back