Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

SPDT switch for more functions

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeëlzeM

Hello,

I'd like to know if it's possible to wire around 6 or more SPDT functions to one switch? Do those exist?

I'm wiring modifications and different resistor values inside an amplifier. And I'd like to switch back to all the stock values with the flick of a switch, and so I need an SPDT function switch that can do around 6 functions at once. For switching back and forth from stock to a modified circuit.

Thanks

Are you looking for a 6PDT switch ?

You could use a SPST and have it power the coil on a relay or relays with enough contacts. Maybe use 2 3PDT relays. It might be cheaper then a single 6PDT.

Hello,

I'd like to know if it's possible to wire around 6 or more SPDT functions to one switch? Do those exist?

I'm wiring modifications and different resistor values inside an amplifier. And I'd like to switch back to all the stock values with the flick of a switch, and so I need an SPDT function switch that can do around 6 functions at once. For switching back and forth from stock to a modified circuit.

Thanks

Yeah something that works like a 6PDT switch.

A relay with a SPST switch sounds about right. What would I need?

Generally speaking, when you start using a massive switch to do all that you want to do, you end up with a lot of problems with feedback, crosstalk and ground loops. What you want to do may be theoretically possible, but not the least bit practical. But try it anyway, but be prepared for some surprises!

Dean

At my work we had a box that we called a T-bar switch. It was used to switch the input/output digital interface for our plant control system to two different general purpose computers. It was part of a fail-safe back up method designed in the late 70s.

Anyway inside were four 24vdc 48PDT relays with all four coils wired in parallel. I guess during testing and commissioning (before I worked there) they found that the two general purpose computers didn't like having their signal grounds wired together so they needed enough contacts to switch both signal and ground for all the signals.

What a monster and because of the low current signals being switched it seemed the contacts would get a little flaky every few years and we would have to replace relays to prevent intermittent errors. What a mess to work with.

They should have used a custom made optical isolator array but I heard that the ground compatibility problem showed up only late in the project so the relays were the quickest thing they could come up with that worked. Of course those engineers left with project completion and we were left supporting the kludge until the control system was upgraded in 2002.

Lefty

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back