Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Spdt relay has voltage on n.o. Contact when de-energized and contacts open

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jas_stang

I have an hvac control panel that has a Honeywell logic panel w973f1004 with four heating relay outputs and two cooling relay outputs. These relay outputs cycle power to 208vac relays that energize contactor coils and solenoids. All relay outputs on the logic panel share the same common wire which is phase a of 208 vac. If I unhook all n.o. Relay wire connections and there are no wires connected to n.c. I have voltage on both n.c. And n.o. Of the relay output. I remove the logic panel and ohm all relay outputs using fluke 87 true rms and read 1 ohm from c to n.c. And OL from c to n.o. If I apply 115 volts to c and measure to neutral I read 115. From n.c. To neutral I read 115 if I check from n.o. To neutral I get 115 but the contact ohms as open. Somehow on this logic panel I am getting voltage from the common terminal to normally open. I have tried it on two new panels and one old panel and all have the same results. The problem it is causing is it is applying voltage to control relays causing them to chatter- only 85 to 130 vac to coil (a1 -a2) when it should be de-energized. This is causing relays to intermittently not open contacts as it is enough voltage to keep them pulled in after being energized. Is there any way to resolve this? How can the voltage be getting from common to normally open when the contacts ohm as open?? Thanks in advance for any advice.

there might be some contact protecting devices like mov/ rc snubber etc across each contact. this might show voltage even before the device is operated. as these devices may not permit much load current
it may not matter, except if one touches, he might get a shock.

It's also possible that relay contacts are sticking closed or have carbon tracking as a result of arcing. If you can isolate all the contacts you could check for that.

As MVS stated, it sounds like they have snubbers built in so they can switch things like motors. If that is the case it is probably the R/C of the snubber allowing enough current for a low power relay to stay energized. What voltage and current are you switching? It might be fixed by adding to the load.

yes it is a relay switching a relay that switches contactors. as there are multiple contactors that need energized with certain calls it is necesssary to have it so. I know it isnt carbon tracing from arcing as it is a brand new logic panel and the load it is switching is only 208vac relay coil which is less than an amp. i removed the back of the logic and there are printed circuit boards with dc coil relays and a bunch of resistors. I see no snubbers but am no expert either. if I ohm normally open to common on all relays i have 0Ω yet i still get voltage on it. a little perplexed right now. Thanks for the replies!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back