Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

spark

Status
Not open for further replies.

duster360

Hi, I built a Jet engine, I use propane as fuel. I plan on using Kerosen in the future, I would like have a continuous spark so I can ignite the fuel. something that will supply a continous spark as I supply the fuel. Thank you. David

Attachments

• jet_engine_003.jpg
    jet_engine_003.jpg
    431.6 KB · Views: 536
Hi , I guess I did not get my question along with my pic. My question is: how do I make a continous spark so I may lite the fuel.

I plan on using a automotive coil, but I dont know how to make it continous, if I use a switch to brake the negitive side of the coil, I will just get one smark at a time, and only as fast as I switch it. I would like something that will make spark as fast as possible. Also I need plans for this. thanks

I'm not sure that an auto coil is up to the continuous duty that you might require. At 8,000 rpm and 8 cyliner engine would require 32,000 sparks per minute - that's 533 per second. While that seems continuous from one point of view it may not be continuous for your purposes.

You might look at an oil burner that has the electrodes, transformer, etc - as a source for parts or ideas.

You can find many flyback drivers on the net using google.

You could meaby use a stun gun if you dont feal like building a circuit

Why do you say you need a "continuous" spark?
I thought the burn in a jet engine was continuous once ignited.
And if it's a pulse jet then it's ignited in pulses instead.

A stun gun is definitely NOT useful for continuous duty. It will overheat in a very short period.
A TV flyback may overheat when configured to drive a spark.

The car ignition coil is certainly a better option.

When you say "continuous", do you just mean repeating? As noted a car ignition coil at 533 sparks per sec is pretty darn continuous, but technically they are separate pulses if they quench between arcs.

There are ready Battery operated Gas ignitors that give continuous spark.
A 555 driving a 20amp mosfet with the car ignition coil as the drain load will do nicely. I have a Pot to vary frequency.

..and thats an awesome jet:!: :!:
Whats the thrust/ rpm?

A flyback at low power could hold out.If not wind your own high curent secundary.

and you can rpboobly make a stun gun continues by puting in a better heatsinked biger transistor

Ok, thats what I think I need to do Docel, Now I need to know what to do next. What is a 555? Can I build this from parts from radio shack? you guys are great!

I also need in lamen terms how to wire this up. a drawing would be great.

The jet engine is very cool, I ran this for about 10 minutes, just before the main shaft frooze up. But what a rush!
I am working on a 40psi oiling system for my next turbo, and an after burner. after this I will build a engine from a truck turbo, and from there bigger again, my plan is to build a car and install the engine and go like hell! Thank you everyone for your help. Dave

Update, I guess continous is not really what I need but some what faster than I can do my self. yes once it ignites, it will run on its own and does. I have lite this engine with a pocket liter, through a hole in the back of the engine, then once lite I scew in a brass bolt. Kind of hot at this time though, so I want to be supplying spark while I turn on the gas. It may take a few seconds so a I would like to have it sparking on its own while I do turn on the gas. thanks again.

Hay guys, Today I bought a TLC555 low power timer IC and a 470 uf Capacitor, some 2.2k resistors. I wired it up on bread board, and got a LED to turn on and off! to cool. Not as fast as I would like yet. It looks like about 2sec on and 1sec off. I am using a 9v battery. I plan on changing resistors and different Capacitors. any Ideas.

Ok I also bought a Reed relay Rated 0.5A at 125vac. My thought is to turn the relay on and off using the timer then hook up the ignition coil to the relay. the relay should make and brake the negitive side of the coil and induce the spark from the coil to the spark plug. ? maybe ? Any thoughts on this idea. thanks Dave

hay docel, The answer to your question on thrust and rpm, is, I dont know yet, I plan being able to measure this soon I hope, but when I lite this thing up It sounded like a F16 taking off! everyone I show the video to just thinks its the ****! Dave

Ok one more question : What is a "MOSFET" I have been looking at the different set ups for high voltage out put. This is too Cool! thanks again. dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back