Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Spark made with electronics

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is some laws against electrical work but they're not that strictly enforced the way gas is.

I think the law in the US is sill, untrained people shouldn't be allowed to work with gas which is obviously much more dangerous than electricity.

There is some laws against electrical work but they're not that strictly enforced the way gas is.

I think the law in the US is sill, untrained people shouldn't be allowed to work with gas which is obviously much more dangerous than electricity.

Several post back I said this:
I do know the explosive force of one cubic foot (1 cubic foot = 0.0283168466 cubic meters) in a simple enclosed box is ugly.

I saw that test done some years back as a result of what was called a "pressure release". Pressure release my butt, it was a gas explosion that shook the building I was in. I am not totally uncomfortable around gas but I also have the wisdom to leave working with gas to those who know what they are doing.

There is a big difference between a fool working with electricity like mains power who may kill or injure himself and a fool working with natural gas where the explosion can kill a dozen or more people. I don't think the US law is silly more like I think the lack of laws is stupid.

Someday I'll share the story of why the old gas stove (range) we had was replaced.

Ron

Hi. If I put two 200v diodes in parallel will it then work as 400v?

Its not really a problems since I have an lN5408 and that goes to 1k voltage, but I want to know.

Oh, I forgot to warn you that the switch, resistor and capacitor both need to have a maximum voltage rating of at least 400V and the diode needs to be rated to at least 750V because of the voltage doubler effect.

I was just wondering. When you say 400v it is because you cant get anything at 230v right? it goes from 200v to 400v atleast when we talk diodes. (and I do use a 1kv diode :))

Last edited:
Hmm all these high voltage komponents. For making a spark I could just use the automotive ignition coil add 12v and get a suitable 312v out to make the spark? And then I dont need these high voltage komponents? Thats only for making big sparks.
312v should be good enough, and I will be able to use a small 16v capacitor and normal resistor and 4001 diode right?

I was just wondering. When you say 400v it is because you cant get anything at 230v right? it goes from 200v to 400v atleast when we talk diodes. (and I do use a 1kv diode :))
The peak voltage of a 230VAC sine wave is 325V.
The capacitor will charge to the peak voltage, minus the tiny rectifier loss, not the RMS voltage.

If the mains voltage is 10% high, the RMS voltage will be 253V and the peak will be 358V, add a reasonable safety margin and you get 400V.

If the capacitor is charged to 357V, and the mains voltage reverses, the peak reverse voltage across the diode will be 357V + 358V = 715V, add a reasinable safety margin and you need a 750V rectifier, the 1V difference is due to the rectifier losses and rounding errors in my calculation.

Hmm all these high voltage komponents. For making a spark I could just use the automotive ignition coil add 12v and get a suitable 312v out to make the spark? And then I dont need these high voltage komponents? Thats only for making big sparks.
312v should be good enough, and I will be able to use a small 16v capacitor and normal resistor and 4001 diode right?
312V is no where near high enough to make a spark, as a general rule you need 1.1kV per mm.

312V is actually classed as low voltage, high voltage is over 1kV.

An ignition coil produces a much higher voltage than 1kV, normally 5kV minimum, often higher.

Last edited:
thanks. I did read about the 312v some where. But others can make mistakes :) I also read that automotive ignition coils was often at 30kv

In addition to something to shut off the gas if it is not ignited as previously suggested, I would also add an E-Stop (Emergency Stop) switch that can be hit by someone to disable the system and shut off the gas in case there are any problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back