Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Spark made with electronics

Status
Not open for further replies.

SimonTHK

I want to make a spark so I can ignite some gas. I want to add a timer so I can have a flame now and then. (it shall be used for show purpsoe).

How do I make spark with electronics without any moving parts?

My first Idea was to charge a big capacitor and have two wires close enough to make a spark when I push (or timer circuit) a button and open for current.

Any ideas?

A 230V mains transformer can be wired in reverse to convert a low voltage to a couple of kV which will produce a small spark, just apply a pulse to the primary coil.

How are you going to be controlling the gas? You need a solenoid valve.

You also need to be very carful working with flammable gasses.

Where do you live? Here in the UK you need to be Corgi certified in order to work with gas, otherwise you're breaking the law.

A 230V mains transformer can be wired in reverse to convert a low voltage to a couple of kV which will produce a small spark, just apply a pulse to the primary coil.

How are you going to be controlling the gas? You need a solenoid valve.

You also need to be very carful working with flammable gasses.

Where do you live? Here in the UK you need to be Corgi certified in order to work with gas, otherwise you're breaking the law.

Thanks
I am from denmark 25 years old and I am pretty sure there are no laws in denmark about this.
I can buy electric controlled open/close switch thing (to open and close for gas or as you say solenoid valve) just like the ones placed in welding machiens to open up for argon.

I want to make a circuit that opens up for gas 1 second before it ignites it. It shall immitate breath from a dragon model made of concrete. It is very much the same as a weed burner, it should just be automatically controlled.

Last edited:
"just apply a pulse to the primary coil" what do you mean by pulse exactly?

Will it make a spark just by having these high voltage wires close to each others? Is that enough?

Maybe think about triggering an automotive ignition coil? I have done it firing an ignition coil using a lamp dimmer circuit.

Ron

"just apply a pulse to the primary coil" what do you mean by pulse exactly?
A short brief pulse of electricity.
**broken link removed**)

Will it make a spark just by having these high voltage wires close to each others? Is that enough?

Yes, that's the idea.

An automotive ignition coil is an even better.

Here is a simple line powered ignition coil driver circuit that can be built with common and basic parts.

Just use a timer relay to delay the ignition circuit for a second or so when the power is applied.

Attachments

• Line voltage CD i&.jpg
    Line voltage CD i&.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 188
Here is a simple line powered ignition coil driver circuit that can be built with common and basic parts.

Just use a timer relay to delay the ignition circuit for a second or so when the power is applied.

thanks

should I have 230v on line?

Yes.

Is this going to be batter operated?

The only problem with the circuit posted above is safety. If the ignition coil's secondary is connected to its case, then the whole metal chassis will be at mains potential so you need to insulate the ignition transformer's body from the user.

All ignition circuits are potentially dangerous anyway, it's just the mains is more dangerous because there's more current available, even though the voltage is lower.

I was thinking. If I can just reverse any 230v to (some lower voltage) transformer and get a high voltage and create a spark with that, what more should I need? :) Maybe a diode on the high voltage side to prevent from those backfires and then ofcourse some kinda switch on the 230v to turn it on.

I was thinking. If I can just reverse any 230v to (some lower voltage) transformer and get a high voltage and create a spark with that, what more should I need? :) Maybe a diode on the high voltage side to prevent from those backfires and then ofcourse some kinda switch on the 230v to turn it on.

hi,
Why not just use a pilot flame to ignite the main gas jet when its turned on.?

Last edited:
There is no shortage of methods to fire an automotive ignition coil in burst to ignite gas. There is this method and other simple methods presented over here. Generally using a 555 timer oscillator circuit to trigger a large transistor like a 2N3055 is popular. Nice thing about most of these methods is they can run off a simple 12 Volt battery and afford good gas ignition.

Eric brings up a good point also as to a small pilot flame and then turning on a larger main gas valve. Since the pilot acts as the ignition source there is no need for electrical ignition.

I guess it comes down to how one wants to go about configuring the theater prop?

Ron

It should ignite once each 5 min every day every year in the whole summer period. Like 2-3 month. So id much rather prefer a spark than a pilot flame

Just use a old neon sign transformer or old fuel oil furnace ignition transformer. Both are line voltage powered and designed to purposely create high voltage arcs.

Here's a simple circuit which I know works because I've built it myself.

The switch can be replaced with an SCR and pulse transformer if you want to control it from a digital logic or micro-controller circuit. I'll show you how if you don't know.

Attachments

• Simple ignition..PNG
    Simple ignition..PNG
    625 bytes · Views: 195
thanks heros, that is the one Ill use. I will just buy a timer circuit from a local store for 15 dollar with a relay to work as switch

Oh, I forgot to warn you that the switch, resistor and capacitor both need to have a maximum voltage rating of at least 400V and the diode needs to be rated to at least 750V because of the voltage doubler effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back