Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Sourcing / Sinking Confused

Status
Not open for further replies.

beardedbil

To all,
I have an SD-50 from Gilderfluke, that has 8 digital outputs that say all outputs are open collector switches to ground. (The manual can be found here: https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2010/06/Sd_50_Manual.pdf)

I am trying to connect it to a Brightsign video player, with this connection: https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2010/06/DB15_10_S.pdf

So as you can see it says that I have to sink the inputs from the Brightsign player to ground to activate. The only way I know how to do this is have the gilderfluke turn on a relay. This relay in turn has both the Brightsign input pin and its own ground connected. Thus the relay lets the Brightsign player see its own ground? I know I am going about this all wrong and there is a much simpler way but how would I wire an open collector output to a sinking input without the relay? I have researched on the internet about sinking and sourcing, but they don't seem to apply to my situation or I am just not understanding it correctly. Any help would be much appreciated!
Best,
Bill

The requirement is simple. Just put a 1k resistor on each output of the 8 digital ouputs of the Gilderfluke and then connect a 1k safety resistor between each output of the 8 digital outputs of the Gilderfluke to each inputof your Brightsign Video Amplifier.
You will also need to directly connect the earth of each device to the other device.

I should have been more clear in that I only need one output to one input, even though gilderfluke offers 8... Adding resistors etc, just seems more difficult than a relay, I guess I was curious if there is anyway to wire them directly to one another... Thanks in advance!
Best,
Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back