Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Sound Weapon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clyd3

Hi, i need to make a directional sound weapon
DIRECTIONAL
i've read about them all over, used in ships
some cops had handheld versions

can you guys help me by suggesting frequencies and speakers / amps capable of such sound
as well as how i can go about directing the sound

well, NO, DEFINITELY NOT

its not like they're physically damaging the people

let me rephrase my goal - a directional noisier/louder siren

Clyd3 said:
well, NO, DEFINITELY NOT

its not like they're physically damaging the people

let me rephrase my goal - a directional noisier/louder siren

So perferated eardrum's and nosebleeds dont count anymore as physical damage?

justDIY said:
they do exist, but good luck finding much of anything crediable to read about them - employed by US Navy, Police and Cruise Ships --- also used on the poor people of New Orleans, when they asked the govt for help

try searching for "sonic weapon" "crowd control"
https://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4857417
https://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/4418748.stm
**broken link removed**
Can you provide a reference that states that this weapon was actually used in New Orleans? There is no doubt that it was there, but I could find nothing that said it was used.

Ron H said:
Can you provide a reference that states that this weapon was actually used in New Orleans? There is no doubt that it was there, but I could find nothing that said it was used.

nope - that last statement is unsubstantiated speculation ... I just jumped to conclusions after seeing the picture of a guy in fatigues standing in a military looking humvee with his hand on the sonic weapon, outside the Superdome, in New Orleans.

justDIY said:
Ron H said:

nope - that last statement is unsubstantiated speculation ... I just jumped to conclusions after seeing the picture of a guy in fatigues standing in a military looking humvee with his hand on the sonic weapon, outside the Superdome, in New Orleans.
If it had actually been used, we would still be hearing about it.

whether its been used or not is irrelevant to me

can u guys give me tips on how to make sound very directional
or at least directional in some way

i'm working on finding a nice set of frequencies and speakers which wont blow too quickly

Clyd3 said:

i'm working on finding a nice set of frequencies and speakers which wont blow too quickly

Most speakers are directional, horn speakers would probably be more so than most?.

I'm still of the opinion though that such devices are more speculation than actual fact! - although a GREAT deal of military research has been done on the subject.

What has just been mentioned recently in the UK is a device to stop groups of youths collecting in particular spots (outside a shop for example). The idea is a high frequency tone which older people won't be able to hear, but will cause the youths to go elsewhere!.

This strikes me as about as practical as any other sound weapon!.

They exist; Long Range Acoustic Device, or LRAD and were used on a cruise ship to repel pirates recently.

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

I was amazed when I saw it on CNN originally.

Attachments

• 324134.jpg
    324134.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 815
Nigel Goodwin said:
Clyd3 said:

Most speakers are directional, horn speakers would probably be more so than most?.

I'm still of the opinion though that such devices are more speculation than actual fact! - although a GREAT deal of military research has been done on the subject.

What has just been mentioned recently in the UK is a device to stop groups of youths collecting in particular spots (outside a shop for example). The idea is a high frequency tone which older people won't be able to hear, but will cause the youths to go elsewhere!.

yeah they do exist.. I recall reading a documentary (years ago) about military experimentation with them way back in the 1940's. The experiments were real. The results however, are controversial (but then again almost anything you read could be) I don't have any details or links but I recall that they used very low frequencies such as 0.1Hz to 10Hz. At low power levels they could induce extreme nausea in the target person. At higher levels they could shake apart brick walls and rupture internal organs (resulting in death) And I think I remember reading about a horn shaped device for directional control! :)

Yes they Exist. The Real Problem is Making the Transducer that will be Very Specific for the Intended Frequency and Power.

Quite a few Years ago, the UK had a HIGH POWERED, Low Frequency device that was mounted on a truck for riot control.
I Believe it operated at about 16 Hz and caused Bowel disfunction, Considerably Disabling the intended persons.

chemelec said:
Yes they Exist. The Real Problem is Making the Transducer that will be Very Specific for the Intended Frequency and Power.

Quite a few Years ago, the UK had a HIGH POWERED, Low Frequency device that was mounted on a truck for riot control.
I Believe it operated at about 16 Hz and caused Bowel disfunction, Considerably Disabling the intended persons.

Have you ever seen Mythbusters? - they tested this myth, and found no truth in it.

As a UK resident I've NEVER heard of such a device being used for riot control in the UK.

I just skimmed over this, but **broken link removed** seems like it is relevant to this thread.

Wow, thats a good find Ron

I like this one:

High-frequency, non-diffracting (i.e., non-penetrating) acoustic bullet creates plasma in front of target (effect:) Blunt-object trauma

plasma - as in ionized gas ... from sound waves? neat

I saw something on TV about those sometime in the last couple years. It was basically a short, fat pulse jet (like the ones people build for R/C airplanes).

Nigel Goodwin said:
Clyd3 said:

I googled that and yeah, thats about as practical as i need
thanks
i'll post my progress

edit:
hey! how about this: if i make a setup which switches its output frequency between 20kHz and a slightly lower frequency (so olders can hear it) and then step it down to 20Hz or slightly higher
and then switch between those 3 or 4 frequencies every second or so

also i liked this one too:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonic_weaponry

it is a hobiest project so i'm not intending it to cause harm
just discomfort i suppose
sounds like fun and i need something to do

sheesh ron, nice article that still reading it

8) infrasound hmm go to the free information society on the net you will find the free circuit schematics to biuld these

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back