Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Sound *Toy*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clyd3

I want to make a speaker or similar which causes discomfort

if i make a setup which switches its output frequency between 20kHz and a slightly lower frequency (so olders can hear it) and then step it down to 20Hz or slightly higher
and then switch between those 3 or 4 frequencies every second or so
it should be pretty interesting to experience the results

are normal speakers okay for doing this
esp. at higher volumes?

if not then what should i use???
what circuitry is recommended???
you okies are nice eh?

To produce much sound at 20hz you'll need a big powerful and probably expensive speaker, and of course a suitable power amp. I know what your trying to achieve, there is a burglar akarm that does this, but I belive the two frequencies are present simultaneously.

i do have another topic that died, but now i want to focus on specifics

Dr EM you said two frequencies simultaneously?
i dont know toooooooooo much, but isnt it when you do 2 frequencies simultaneosly the wavelength is generally increased therefore lower frequency or do they rapidly switch between the frequencies like i want to do???

what do i use to generate a really low sound of 20hz or so???
or a high sound of 20khz???
i'm willing to experiment and fail trying again

A big woofer speaker in a large cabinet might produce 20Hz, but certainly not much higher than only about 3kHz. A small tweeter speaker might produce 20kHz but certainly not much lower than about 3kHz.

you know what audioguru???
you're extremely useful at times!!!
now, whats the best way for me to measure these frequencies???
could i do it with my pc mic
or should i go and buy something
i dont mind either way

Clyd3 said:
you know what audioguru???
you're extremely useful at times!!!
Um, thanks. :lol:

now, whats the best way for me to measure these frequencies???
1st you need a generator to make the frequencies.
2nd you need an amplifier to break the speakers.

You will probably learn the hard way not to operate a tweeter anywhere near its max power for longer than a moment.
You will also probably learn the hard way that the voice-coil of a woofer that reaches over-excursion makes a big noise as it hammers itself against the magnet's structure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back