Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

sound to light how?

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnc765

Hello

Before i ask i must point out that i know absolutley nothing about electronics (i can manage a kettle and light switch) so please talk layman so my brain won't explode.

anyway i am an artist and i want to creat a sculpture from light, thats the easy part. what i want to do is make the light pulse in a heartbeat rhythm, the slower and quieter the heartbeat the lower the light intensity, with the light increasing in pace and and brightness with the volume until just a solid bright light.

I must add here that the sculpture will be silent so i was thinking of using a CD player with no speakers for the sound output.

i have seen lights flash and pulsate to music so i was wondering if there was a simple gadget i could buy or is it a matter of getting a techy type to build me one.

thanks for any help or advice, i just don't have a clue what to look for its all gobbledygook to me.

Last edited:
The device you are looking for is commonly called a "Color Organ". A Google of that term should get you started. Building one is not that complicated but for a non-electronic type could be challenging. A color organ could likely be modified to give the effect you are looking for. Another option would be a PIC Chip that has been programmed but that gets more complicated than a simple color organ circuit. Years ago these things were sold as kits, I don't know what is out there today but start with color organ.

<EDIT> A Google of color organ kit brought up plenty of hits that you could modify. :) </EDIT>

Ron

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back