Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

sound-responsive circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

kamikaze33

im looking to make a deadmau5 head for a friend, and i wanted to use an existing circuit from some sound-responsive led speakers.

originally i had intended on hooking the circuit up to a mono-amp & mic, so that the leds would light up to the music at a concert, but i figure with background noise and such, theres not much point.

so i am wondering if it would be possible to just convert the circuit somehow so the leds light up randomly. i dont care in what fashion, i just want them to light up.

the circuit consists of red, green and blue leds as is, so as long as i can get them all to light up in some fashion without having to hook the circuit into an audio source, i dont care.

EDIT: if all else fails i could just use the plug and have it contact the skin somewhere, which is producing some feedback, although it only creates the same alternating pattern of flashing (which in this case results in an alternation of the leds; there are 2 red 2 green and 2 blue/speaker, so it just alternates between 1 RGB and 1 RGB (if that makes sense) producing the same effect, only 'blinking'. i suppose i could switch the led positions to get say 1 green + 2 reds, and 1 green + 2 blues if i have no other options)

Last edited:
If you want it to look like they are flashing randomly, I, personally, would use a 4017 decade counter, with the outputs connected to LEDs, positioned out of order (meaning the LED connected to the first output of the 4017 is NOT next to the LED connected to the second output, etc.). You could use a 555 timer for the clock, with a potentiometer to adjust the speed of the flashing.
Der Strom

If you want it to look like they are flashing randomly, I, personally, would use a 4017 decade counter, with the outputs connected to LEDs, positioned out of order (meaning the LED connected to the first output of the 4017 is NOT next to the LED connected to the second output, etc.). You could use a 555 timer for the clock, with a potentiometer to adjust the speed of the flashing.
Der Strom

unless it's running pretty darn slow, it will still just look like a pattern very quickly.
but maybe an extra 4017 running on a totally different clock speed could be used to re-route/alternate the outputs of the first 4017 via some 4066's.

unless it's running pretty darn slow, it will still just look like a pattern very quickly.
but maybe an extra 4017 running on a totally different clock speed could be used to re-route/alternate the outputs of the first 4017 via some 4066's.

That's a good point, but I think that a 10-part pattern will be relatively difficult to track, for most people. If you really don't want to risk it, you could use some 4066s, as you mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back