Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

sound processors

do you think 10 channel surround is a good idea?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

dustinpruente

until now, i run my 10 channel sound, (yes, it was a B*tch to hook up) through a series of small sound processors made by commercial companies. but they take up a lot of room and generate HIGH amounts of heat when put together. I am trying to Replicate my original 10 channel home system in my car. the previous solution i had to process sound now becomes impossible. any ideas on how i can make a 10 channel sound processor about the size of a class A amplifier (about 12 inches wide by 3 feet high)? it will have to include cooling hardware too. oh, by the way, this will need to run on 12 volts. Because of later plans to mass produce 10 channel surround, i will not release how i converted 5.1 surround into 10 channels, thats not important. if anybody can make me a processor for 1 channel that is about the size of a cigarrette box(2 inches wide, 3 inches tall) depth dosent matter. i would be very gratious and share profits if i mass produce it.

What do you need to "process"?
Volume, bass and treble, and maybe even EQ?
Or do you just need 10 power amplifiers? How much RMS power into what impedance?

Wow, 10 channels. Are you listening to movie sound effects while you drive?

I hardly ever take part in polls, it's rare to ever see one which makes much sense - and I've haven't clicked on this one.

However, I don't see any point in converting a high quality 5 channel (sub doesn't count as a channel - hence the '.1') surround sound system into something which isn't true surround any more. At best it's only going to give you 'psuedo surround', there isn't 10 channels of information there, so anything you produce is only going to detract from how it's supposed to sound.

Asking for suggestions on producing a small 'processor', but giving no indication of what processing is required, is an incredibly pointless exercise. Considering you are already using commercial processors to do the job, it's hardly a state secret?. I'm also bemused by the size and heat of your existing home system, presumably these are complete amplifier systems and not 'processors'.

As you are specifically asking for a single channel to two channel processor, there's even less chance of generating anything worthwhile, all I can imagine is they split frequencies high and low?. Any type of psuedo surround processor is going to require at least stereo inputs.

dustinpruente said:
i need to process the eq levels.
Ok, but what do you mean by "process"? Do you mean individual amplitude control of each EQ channel, or...? Apparently in your world "process" has a special meaning. To us generalists, there are several definitions, none of which is very specific. Here are a couple from websters.com:

1. To put through the steps of a prescribed procedure: processing newly arrived immigrants; process an order.
2. To prepare, treat, or convert by subjecting to a special process: process ore to obtain minerals.

Perhaps you could be more specific.

what i am doing is i am splitting the 5 channels and leaving sub alone. then, you have for say, the left side: instead of front left, mid-left, and rear-left, you now have: right-front-left, left-front-left, left-mid-left, right-mid-left, left-rear-left, and right-rear-left. its just splitting each full channel into two seperate channels. this combined with a superior bose sound system (around $1500 usd) it should provide better sound. this is still in the experimental stage. i figured out how to do it, i just have to actually build it. ill let you all know how it goes.

I think the problem everyone is having with this is that they can't see what you are doing with the sound. Take front-mid. That will be split inot (as you explained) right-front-mid and left-front-mid. Will these two channels produce the same sound? If not, how will it decide which bits of sound to give to each speaker?

If you could explain this to us, someone might be able to help.

I know you wan't to keep it secret, in case you market it, but it really is very difficult to help with a secret product!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back