Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Sound from Socket

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electroenthusiast

My computer spike buster plug is connected to a socket with mains voltage(220 VAC). There is a small loose contact between the socket and the plug. And the plug has some burn on its Phase pin, which is ash colored(/black colored). I hear some tickling sound(The sound is like a noise heard in Radio) from it when ever i switch the gadgets connected to it.

**broken link removed**

Facts from my research is that.
1) When no gadget is connected, there is some sound.
2)When i switch on a gadget connected to it sound continues for few moments and then stops.
3)When i again switch on another gadget thats connected to it, the sound again appears momentarily and then stops.

The question is Why does that happen only at these instances(as mentioned in the facts)...
The computer works perfectly, after that.

Change the socket and the plug. If you don't know how to do it, get a local electrician. NOW!

You have a loose connection in there. It is probably in the connection between the socket and the plug, but it could also be between the wiring in the wall and the socket. Either way, you should change them.

The spike buster could be making a noise when it absorbs spikes, so that might not be a problem, but burned plugs need to be fixed before you get a fire.

the sound of fizzing/crackling is a good indication that the wire is loose and creating arcs (sparks), if you were to turn a light switch half way off, you would get the same effects. IF you are hearing noise even when nothings plugged in, it s soo decayed that current is always flowing between the prongs,

similar is when transformers break down they create a buzzing

This problem is typical. The initial current spike breaks down the oxide and you get good contact from then on, but this loose connection causes heat and degrades the contact by creating more oxide and also reduces the contact force.

Replace the socket IMMEDIATELY. The plug can probably be cleaned with emery paper if there is any sign of discoloration.

There is quite some problem always to my electricity line towards my PC. I had prev disscussed abt it, this is the continuation of it. I used hear some cracking sound from my spike buster(multi plug). Neutral socket in One of he 3 pin socket is damaged, probably because of heat, and the plastic all around it has melted. Even the plug which was connected to it had suffered the damage.

Day before yesterday, i suddenly saw a huge spark from the spike buster and the 6A fuse of it broke. So i replaced the fuse and checked(with no appliance connected to it) whether it's working fine. But as soon as i switched ON, there was a spark again and the new-fuse also broke. Now i know that prob is from spike buster. I checked using the multimeter whether there is a short b/w live and neutral, but didn sense any problem like that.

For Gen. Know., i wanna know: Why i used to hear that cracking sound, even though every pin fitted properly?
Why and How was the plug and the neutral pin of the socket damaged?
Why/How is the fuse breaking when i try to use the spike again?

I replaced it with a new spike buster and also replaced the damaged plug.

Call it a surge protector, spike buster or whatever you choose. Most of these devices use the marvelous MOV (Metal Oxide Varistor) as I like to call them. I suggest you give this a read. When a MOV breaks down they frequently make a ticking sound and each time a MOV breaks down it degrades. When they fail they normally break down into a short. They can also fail open in which case they simply no longer do anything. They can begin breaking down well below their rated breakdown voltage. In that case if we measure the MOV it will appear open, however, a 250 volt MOV may be breaking down at 100 volts. This is why there is a fuse or mini circuit breaker inline with mains hot power.

As to the outlet or socket. If a socket becomes worn it will not carry its rated current. The resistance between the plug blade and socket increases and results in excessive heat being generated. This condition can be caused by wear or a loose connection of mains power to the socket as was already covered in this thread. This is exactly why back in April Kiss stated:

Replace the socket IMMEDIATELY. The plug can probably be cleaned with emery paper if there is any sign of discoloration.

Apparently we all do not share the same meaning of "Immediately"? :)

1. Just because the pin and socket seem to fit tight and proper does not mean there isn't a loose socket mains screw terminal.
2. The plug and socket based on your own explanation were destroyed as a result of excessive heat. The melted plastic is a good indicator.
#. I covered earlier, the MOVs have failed and breakdown below mains voltage.

That is my guess....

<EDIT> Beat by Nigel again. :) Yes, and did you replace the wall socket? I assumed you did but...... </EDIT>

Ron

Last edited:
I havent replaced the socked(on the wall), i've replaced everything else. was just lazy to open it up. But i've given good packing(metal), so that the pin fixes to the socket properly.

I havent replaced the socked(on the wall), i've replaced everything else. was just lazy to open it up. But i've given good packing(metal), so that the pin fixes to the socket properly.

The socket was, and is, faulty - that was the most important thing to replace.

You should replace it immediately, it's a potential safety issue, and will possible damage further items plugged in to it.

The socket was, and is, faulty - that was the most important thing to replace.

You should replace it immediately, it's a potential safety issue, and will possible damage further items plugged in to it.

Hi Nigel, Okay i'm going to do that. I Think i need to change the complete set of switches in my place(since i currently stay in a pretty old-20yrs building). i can hear some sound(loose contact) when i switch some switches and also sometimes Compact Florescent bulbs blink due to this.

I'll be replacing the socket soon, Thanks.

And Do you know the answer for my ques(see my signature)?

Hi Nigel, Okay i'm going to do that. I Think i need to change the complete set of switches in my place(since i currently stay in a pretty old-20yrs building). i can hear some sound(loose contact) when i switch some switches and also sometimes Compact Florescent bulbs blink due to this.

Flourescent lights commonly used large inductors (compact ones don't though) and these make the switches spark when you turn a switch OFF.

20 years doen't seem old though :D

I'll be replacing the socket soon, Thanks.

And Do you know the answer for my ques(see my signature)?

Most people consider DC more dangerous than AC, I certainly do - but it's a frequently discussed question, and it's all down to personal opinion, not facts. Either can, and will, kill you under the right circumstances (but so will dropping a car battery on your head!).

If you leave a TV connected on that socket, then there would probably appear color patches on the screen while the socket is sparking continuously/intermittent.

Most people consider DC more dangerous than AC, I certainly do - but it's a frequently discussed question, and it's all down to personal opinion, not facts.
It's surely not all down to personal opinion? If you hold a live AC-carrying wire your finger muscles alternately contract and relax, and you can release the wire. But with DC you may find your hand clenched around the wire, resulting in greater trauma.

It's surely not all down to personal opinion? If you hold a live AC-carrying wire your finger muscles alternately contract and relax, and you can release the wire. But with DC you may find your hand clenched around the wire, resulting in greater trauma.

That's my point, but many (including Edison) disagree.

There are many agruments to both sides, and there's not been a definitive answer in 100 years or so.

This is no place to start yet another thread on the subject, and I'll close the thread if it starts going that way! :D

Just a note on the topic. When I was a kid, I was sanding a car with a sander with a frayed extension cord (I didn't notice it), bare feet and shirtless. I was laying on my side on the ground. The frayed part of the cord got caught between my toes and I found it impossible to let go.

Screaming, for the sake of screaming allowed me to pull by foot away. A very odd experience.

In another unrelated, non-electrical, story I ended up being extremely scared and I wanted to run, but I could not move my legs. When I did get them to move, it was hard to make them move.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back