Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Sound controlled circuit - adjustable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoomh4n

I'm a bit of a noob - I've only done a couple of projects and I have a lot to learn.

I have bought the components for this project: http://www.simple-electronics.com/2011/10/sound-controlled-circuit.html . Basically an electret microphone that will trigger (in my case) 30 leds.

I have three questions before I break out the soldering iron...

Will this circuit make the load (30 leds) turn off and on with enough sensitivity to make it look like it's responding to music? (I know you've heard this one a fair few times)

Is there a simple mod I can include to change the sensitivity of the trigger? Like if it was quiet I could have a pot to turn it up and if loud, down.

If you're curious, I'm embedding the leds in a jacket for a NYE festival.

Any help would be highly appreciated.

It needs a 470R
Sound.gif

The circuit is too simple.
The horrible biasing of the first transistor causes the sensitivity to depend on its amount of current gain:
1) With a very low current gain then a loud sound will turn it on which will turn on the load.
2) With a medium current gain then it will be very sensitive.
3) With a high current gain and/or a high temperature then the first transistor will be saturated all the time and the load will be turned on all the time.

EDIT: The circuit can drive a few LEDs, each with its own current-limiting resistor. 30 LEDs need more power than this circuit provides.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back