Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

sound alarm triggered by some relays

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sith

I would like to be able to play a recording such as "Machine one" ... "Machine five" as an alarm when the machine has any problem.

When the machine is in hold for manteinance a relay will be activated and I would like to play a recording for that machine.

Which is the easiest way to archieve this with electronics?

I'm a mechanical engineer and I have basic knowledge of electronics, however I would like to be adress in the right path to start this project.

Thanks!!

I bought cheap proximity sensor boards which uses a sound chip which you can modify the contents in flash with any digital sounds, you can record on your PC.
THey played a music soundbyte of 30 seconds or so on a small speaker which could certainly be boosted to a larger speaker and had different sounds for each switch setting.
Shop around for these and modify would be quick and dirty solution. Otherwise any spare PC with peripheral ports and some work or really old PC's with DOS and 8 parallel ports could also do this with simple programming.
There are many other methods depending on your budget, resources and assistance avail and other requirements..

So you have five different machines? Each machine has a separate relay contact closure to indicate that it has a problem. You want a single central console with an audio amplifier and speaker which makes different announcements depending on which machine has a problem?

Why not use lights to indicate which machine has a problem? Could be a big light overhead each machine, or the lights can be located at the central console. A simple sonalert can be used to indicate that at least one machine has a problem, so as to cause the supervisor to look at the lights to see which machine(s) are alarming.

So you have five different machines? Each machine has a separate relay contact closure to indicate that it has a problem. You want a single central console with an audio amplifier and speaker which makes different announcements depending on which machine has a problem?

Why not use lights to indicate which machine has a problem? Could be a big light overhead each machine, or the lights can be located at the central console. A simple sonalert can be used to indicate that at least one machine has a problem, so as to cause the supervisor to look at the lights to see which machine(s) are alarming.

Actually the machine has his own light, and it is from the same relay where im thinking to take the signal for the sound.

The light is not a good signal enought, response time to clear it is around 10 minutes, with the sound im sure we will improve this time.

Thanks to all for your answers, it has been a nice help!

I like the light solution but understand . I highly recommend beeper with flashing light to locate sound. Very small, cheap and loud... effective alarm.
Remember when all phones had bell ringers and sounded the same. I once worked in an office with a hundred staff , all with the same phone sound. I fixed that problem by adding a 7kHz piezo which gave a distinctive ring but not annoying, so I could hear it anywhere in the office but no one else could tell as it rang at same time as the bells and but with an extra high frequency sound effect that bounced off walls.

You could make it really alerting with any 1~2kHz buzzer used in smoke alarms, battery operated and interfaced easily. They have low voltage beeps so battery failure gives several weeks of warning. WIth Lithium 9V batteries, it will last for many years, alkaline 2 years or more.
This would cut response time to 1 minute.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back