Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Sound Activated digital logic

Status
Not open for further replies.

ismith1984

presently, i have an idea that is very similar to the "clap light" (not sure if that is the right term for it). i would like to know whether there is any way to enable a signal to be output from a circuit once a particular pre programmed sound or sequence of sounds are inputed. ( for example: i would like a 1 output from the circuit once someone claps). i want to design using digital logic gates and devices of that sort. any input or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Very easy to do with a microphone, amplifier and peak detector if all you want to do is get a "1" for ALL loud sounds. To discriminate between sounds and only output a "1" for a specific sound or word is MUCH more difficult.

Counting claps isn't very difficult.

I made something like that once for someone who was building a game where the player shoots darts at a board full of baloons. If they hit a baloon it would pop and the noise would trigger lights and a scoring mechinism. I used a small electret microphone into a high pass filter made from an LM324 op amp. I think the last op amp stage was a full wave rectifier that triggered a digital IC. It worked really well and I remember hand claps would trigger it. Unfortunatly that was many years ago and I no longer have the schematic.

Last edited:
to recognise different sound, its easy by frequency. i mean your circuit will be activated by tones instead of sound. in this case filters are required for particular frequency you are interested in and then feed it through the logic.

Cheat a little and count the vowels: O-PEN has two vowels and CLOSE has only one vowel. But it will count wrong when your dog barks.

i actually wanted it to differentiate between sounds.....hence the reason i need you guys...
You may be able to use MicroChip's **broken link removed** with one of their dsPics, but it only works with common English words.
If the sounds are VERY different, you may be able to differentiate between them with various filters or via FFT analysis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back