Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Sony wega 29"

Status
Not open for further replies.

P.R.Gore

Hi all forum members,
Recently Sony wega 29 inch CRT tv came for repairs in my workshop .Model no. XR29M83. Set was dead. I found Hout short. I removed it & checked all supply voltages which were OK. Later I replaced the Hout, switched tv on. It made big spark from FBT & become dead again! After rechecking I found 3.3 volt pin (no 19) short of UOC IC no TDA12067H1/N1BOBOKO. I replaced both FBT & IC. But now set is still dead. All supply voltages are still OK. No H drive pulses from UOC IC. No st.by. indication of red LED neither starting indication of green LED.
My conclusion is, as IC is brought from open market it contains no software in it. Now the question is, is there any method to load the software or from where to get good new IC or is there any other solution? Anybody have experienced same problem? Please share your views & provide me some solution. Thanks,
P R Gore.

First off, you shouldn't have replaced the HOPT without replacing the transformer, it's a VERY, VERY, VERY common problem on these sets. My technique, if the transistor is S/C, is to very carefully examine the line driver transformer for dry joints, because this commonly causes the HOPT to fail. If there are no drys, then I replace the LOPTX without ever turning it ON - as doing like you did, probably killed the uP.

The uP number you have isn't a Sony one, and fairly obviously buying a blank one (or one manufactured for a different set) isn't going to work at all. Presumably the numbers on the end tell what set it's actually for, and it's NOT a Sony - as it's mask-programmed it's not going to be blank though.

Your only solution is to get a new correct IC from Sony spares.

Incidently, in the 4:3 sets (like this one) it probably takes out the uP in 50% of cases, the identical chassis 16:9 versions only rarely take the IC out.

Thanks Nigel for ur reply. I am from India, here original Sony spares r very costly & not easily available. So replacing FBT without confirming its failure is not easy though it cost me uP. The IC mentioned above is made by Philips & used in Sony. They call it Hercules & depending on TDA extension it is used in different brands as u rightly said. If u see its datasheet, blank ICs can be programmed in circuit with the help of specific jig & software. Do u know exact procedure for this?
Like u I have same experience with dry joints! Thanks again.

Thanks Nigel for ur reply. I am from India, here original Sony spares r very costly & not easily available. So replacing FBT without confirming its failure is not easy though it cost me uP. The IC mentioned above is made by Philips & used in Sony. They call it Hercules & depending on TDA extension it is used in different brands as u rightly said. If u see its datasheet, blank ICs can be programmed in circuit with the help of specific jig & software. Do u know exact procedure for this?

No idea, but there's no way you could get the software from Sony, and the ones in the sets will be mask-programmed and not programmable ones. In circuit programmable ones will only be used for prototyping, before production ones are mask-programmed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back