Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Sony tube TV - screen colors smear slightly

Status
Not open for further replies.

lebevti

Anyone know what the problem could be?

I opened up the TV but really wouldnt know where to start. Anyone know what component would cause the screen to smear some colors? It's very slightly but noticeable enough to be annoying to the eyes. Basically some colors on the screen have kind of a blue smear attached to them

It is a Sony tube TV, Model # KV-20S20 (twenty-S-twenty), from 1996

cant find info on this TV and so looking for expert advice

if you name a component, please describe what it physically looks like so I know what to look for

this just started happening few months ago but otherwise the TV has worked well for 15 years

Most probably the CRT is losing emission - but as it's completely worthless now it just wants throwing away - if you did want an old CRT set there are thousands of perfectly good working ones thrown away every day.

One thing you might check is the voltage on the A1, there's usually a pot on the CRT base for adjusting it, and the top feed resistor sometimes goes high in value. You're probably looking around 600V on the A1.

Yeah, its worthless to you, Nigel, and me, but we do not know where the OP lives or what his financial situation is! I would also check if there is a focus control on the HV transformer. But: be carefull: voltages around these circuiits are dangerous! E

Are you able to post a picture of the screen with the "smudges"?

Yeah, its worthless to you, Nigel, and me, but we do not know where the OP lives or what his financial situation is! I would also check if there is a focus control on the HV transformer. But: be carefull: voltages around these circuiits are dangerous! E

even if the TV has been unplugged for days? are u saying there is stored charge and voltages somewhere?

Yes, lebevti, in TVs and tube-type monitors, especially around the pix tube the voltage charge can stay for a long time. Besides, you can't adjust the picture quality with the power off. E

Does the picture look better with the contrast turned down? Smearing at high contrast with a bright picture is something I know about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back