Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Sony Surround Receiver- Wont Power On

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenneth Bell

• Hello all! Long time lurker now proud member!

An electrical surge swept through my home as of recent, damaging most of my electronics despite their respective surge protectors. My surround sound system receiver (Sony HBD-E280) will not power on. I have a few questions for the repair community.

I have examined the board for visible damage similar to the burn marks on my other electronic devices' main boards but no success. I do have an image of what seems to be a burn mark on the coil affixed to the power module of the system but honestly I am not sure what to make of it.

Also, would it be incorrect to surmise the replacement of the power module would restore the ability to power on my device despite any other issues that could be present?

Thanks!!

Attachments

• 20140629_103739.jpg
    20140629_103739.jpg
    472.7 KB · Views: 407
Last edited:
I don't see anything actually burnt in that photo, however, is that a piece of lint/ fluff on the board around the little inductor?, or is that from a capacitor that has burst? Either way, I think you are looking at primary switching supply damage. You will need to check various components with a decent multimeter to determine obvious problems like a shorted chopper FET, open resistors etc, or for low start-up volts etc. If you are not comfortable working with high voltages, take the equipment to a reputable service outlet and let them repair it for you. It is very easy to create further damage by accident, making any repair much more expensive. I would think that you should have a claim against the power company for all the damage, or was this a lightning strike?

Thanks for the information.
Yes it was a bit of fuzz, and I'll make sure to check those components first. Actually come to think of it, there was a lightning strike incredibly close to the house hitting my back yard, which would definitely explain how it made minced meat out of the surge protectors. However, Ive never seen anything like this much damage. All tvs and cable receivers in my house have received hdmi damage and have had to be replaced, even my computer's onboard ethernet port as well as my cable router's ethernet ports have been fried.
I suppose I wouldn't have a claim, but I will purchase surge protectors with device coverage in the future.

Again, thank you for the info.

Thanks for the information.
Yes it was a bit of fuzz, and I'll make sure to check those components first. Actually come to think of it, there was a lightning strike incredibly close to the house hitting my back yard, which would definitely explain how it made minced meat out of the surge protectors. However, Ive never seen anything like this much damage. All tvs and cable receivers in my house have received hdmi damage and have had to be replaced, even my computer's onboard ethernet port as well as my cable router's ethernet ports have been fried.

Perfectly normal for such a nearby lightning strike, generally (in the UK) your household insurance covers you against such accidents. I've dealt with many dozens of such insurance claims, including ones where the house was actually struck - where nothing electronic (and little that's electrical) survives.

A strike at a local service garage blew the plaster off the walls for a yard either side of wire in the place :D

My brothers house was struck, it blew a BIG hole in the roof, and vaporised a number of the rafters - nothing electrical survived.

I suppose I wouldn't have a claim, but I will purchase surge protectors with device coverage in the future.

It's EXTREMELY doubtful if it would have helped, surge protectors provide a little protection against relatively distant strikes, but for anything close they aren't likely to help much.

Plaster off the walls, Yikes :eek:
and as far as "Lightning Protection" No kidding! :wideyed: Haha Those poor surge protectors didnt stand a chance. But moreso just for the chance of getting back money I would have spent for repair costs. By the way, you've dealt with home insurance claims but have you attempted to gather funds from the alleged warranties by surge protector providers? I hear they inspect the protector to verify the damage and will then cover costs up to a certain amount.

By the way, you've dealt with home insurance claims but have you attempted to gather funds from the alleged warranties by surge protector providers? I hear they inspect the protector to verify the damage and will then cover costs up to a certain amount.

No, I've never been involved in that - it would be between the customer and the manufacturer, nothing to do with me as the engineer reporting on the damage.

I have heard it's difficult to get them to pay out though.

At work we had a surge that caused an ISOBAR surge protector to turn black, They did cover the replacement cost of the connected equipment. You do need to keep the receipt when you bought it though,

I took an APC suppressor apart, and found that there was a thermal fuse that disconnects the protection if it's too great. The quality just wasn't there.

If your susceptible to lightning, then put up lightning rods. Next a whole house surge suppressor. Now, the more sensitive equipment.

Most of my network stuff is on a surge suppressor and UPS. The answering machine and a phone base station for 4 cordless phones are on a UPS. The PERS alarm has two backups. There is a few places I could do more. I could pin a couple of wall wart failures on surges. A neighbor's stove controller and my network repeater died at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back