Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Sony STR DE725 Light Out

Status
Not open for further replies.

nintn75

Hi. My Sony STR DE 725 works fine except the display light that shows EVERYTHING is out. I have contacted Sony, and they said to unplug, wait, and plug back in...that did not work. They also said that the light can not be replaced. The receiver works fine, but sometimes I have to guess where I am, and changing settings is almost impossible. I'm stuck and could really use some help.
Thanks.

It probably uses LEDs which are easy to replace.

Please post a picture.

How about posting a picture?

That way well can see how they're mounted.

If they're incandescents, it's probably easy to replace them with LEDs.

Unfortunately it doesn't appear to be a European model, so i can't check the service manual. But looking at the scan of the American instruction book it looks like the display is a flourescent one, so no backlight. Usual causes are lack of heater supply, commonly because it's fed through a capacitor which dries up.

I have the manual for the STR-DE845/945 if you want to get a general idea how it's wired.

I just bought one on eBay a few months ago with the same problem. I messed with it for a few days & never got it to show anything so I put it in the attic, which gets very hot, I just pulled it down yesterday & plugged it in & it worked Display & all, which told me it was a bad solder that being in the hot attic fixed. Now today I tried it and no display again. I once again went poking around and found the area that needed to be re solder. It is the circuit board right next & above the power supply, just moving this a little made the display go on and off. I re-soldered all the joints on this board & the display works 100% & wiggling the board doesn't make the display go out any more. I know this thread is old, but maybe I was able to help someone who is looking for this answer

Last edited:
On page 40 of the user manual, you can find display brightness adjustment mode.

I presume, that the brightness would have been wronged to minimum due to corruption of data. Try to reset the whole system settings. Perhaps the user manual can offer some reset solution.
on the florescent display , at pins 1/2 and 63/64 , there are some 2.2 ohm resistors numbered R 161 and R115 respectively. thaY help filament current . I suspect , one of them is burnt.
perhaps replacing that would restore your display. courtesy Sony, I could get access to service manual

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back