Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Sony CDXF5500 repair

Status
Not open for further replies.

danshot

I have a Sony CDX-F5500 that was installed in a used car I bought. It has some problems. I can only tune in one direction only. Once you pass the station you want, you have to go all the way around to try and stop on that station. The memory buttons do not work at all. And several other features do not work. About the only thing that does work is the Up tuning and the CD player, but even the CD mode is hard to select. Is there a chip that controls the faceplate functions? Is my problem in the removable faceplate, or is it in the tuning/CD unit? Or should I just trash the unit? Any help is appreciated.

It might be as simple as damage to the front plate (which is VERY expensive - because of theft), you could really do with finding someone with a similar radio so you can swap fronts to see if the fault swaps.

Thanks. Might be hard to find someone with a similar radio. But I'll definetly ask around. I'll keep piddling at it. I'll post any progress I make, if any. Thanks again.

It might be better just to get a new head unit. Something else you might look into would be cleaning the faceplate; that is, taking it apart and cleaning the button contacts (use contact cleaner or 90-95% isopropyl). I don't think you could make it any worse (unless there is some kind of anti-tamper device on the faceplate that prevents disassembly).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back