Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Sony BRAVIA VPL-AW10 Projector

Status
Not open for further replies.

ttyyrose1234

My Sony BRAVIA VPL-AW10 makes this annoying buzzing noise when I try to turn it on, while the green power indicator light just flashes. After the light flashes and the buzzing noise stops the green light turns to red but also the lamp/cover red light flashes continuously for a long period of time. It does this everytime I try to turn it on. I've had the projector for at least two years. Any suggestions?

remove and visually inspect the lamp-you may have lampfailure also for this model there is a kit of parts for invertor failure available.........

I have the exact same problem with mine. the buzzing started and start-up times got longer until one day it didn't start. I took the lamp out and put it back in and it seemed fine, for about a week. now the buzzing has started again and i'm waiting for the cover light to come back on. I just got off a chat with a very unhelpful sony rep that told me it isn't a known issue and to hit the reset button on the remote......we'll see what that does....... any other suggestions?:(

I deal with these stupid data/video projectors very often. Most problems stem from blocked air vents, clogged with dust or not enough fresh air supply. Make sure all air vents are not full of dust. Also look at the proj. lamp closely. If the element looks swollen or has a build-up of salts (or similar) on it, that's a good indicator the lamp is failing. Often the lamp ballast circuitry also weakens/fails over time and that will cause the proj. to not illuminate or shut down after a few minutes of use. Also, if projector has a lamp hours reset feature, try ressetting that to 0hrs. Sharps were known to shut down after 900-1000hrs of lamp use. After a reset of that feature, they work like a charm. Dunno of this Sony is like that as well. Check your proj's menu settings for things like "power off /no signal" ect. If no signal or a static video image is detected for a specific time interval, it will shut down (that is if your projector has that feature.

I just got off a chat with a very unhelpful sony rep that told me it isn't a known issue and to hit the reset button on the remote......we'll see what that does....... any other suggestions?:(
All that does is get you to hang up and leave him alone---- he's a complete idiot for that suggestion. That reset on the remote doesn't reset proj. internal parameters! If that buzzing sound sounds more like a squeal or electrical arcing, it's one of two problems:
1. time for a new lamp
2. lamp generator (ballast) has gone bad

Both are an expensive fix regardless. Most lamps are $150 and well beyond that! Mitsubishi and Sharp projectors carry a 3yr. parts and labor warranty. I've purchased 3000lumen models for as little as $1300. They operate day after day for many months, the Sharps being the most reliable... running faithfully for over 6 years!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back