Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Son of a Biscuit!

Status
Not open for further replies.

HiTech

I was repairing a bug zapper when the probe to my Wavetek multimeter snagged my shirt sleeve, falling on the high voltage node of the transformer. The meter's fuses blew open, but even after replacing them all I get now is the word Hi and a "low battery" icon on every range setting. Of course the unit is all surface mount components to further complicate things. That was my favorite meter and I fear the high voltage may have traveled far beyond those fuses.:( :mad:

Your meter is broken.

Lesson learned, be more careful and use a cheap and nasty meter for high voltage circuits.

Count yourself lucky you didn't get connected to the high voltage rail.

My signature line says it all.

JimB

I did this same thing playing around with a multi meter and a foil screen laying over the front of my TV. Everything was fine until I turn the TV off and the tube discharged through the DMM. No physical damage of any kind, just completly fried the DMM's IC

Hero999 said:
Your meter is broken.

Lesson learned, be more careful and use a cheap and nasty meter for high voltage circuits.

Count yourself lucky you didn't get connected to the high voltage rail.
I wasn't using the meter on the bug zapper. It sits up on a shelf and since the zapper is a tall unit, my sleeve snagged the probe and well you know the rest. As for touching the HV rail and getting zapped, that's not luck; it's caution on my part.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back