Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Sometimes, I really hate PIC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hanxa

I'm using PIC for my tech project, right, and it's really annoying me...I had five proceedures but that was 270% of the memory...i got rid of the only two I can (also the largest two) so my project still kinda works as I want but it's 112% of the effing memory...girl in serious need of help here...

Hanxa said:
I'm using PIC for my tech project, right, and it's really annoying me...I had five proceedures but that was 270% of the memory...i got rid of the only two I can (also the largest two) so my project still kinda works as I want but it's 112% of the effing memory...girl in serious need of help here...

hi,
Like to help, but we need more input!:)

Whats the project, whats the PIC type

What language do you write your programs with?

LOL, You write bad code or your project is far too ambitious.

How do you know your finished code takes 270% of the memory? You just wrote all of it and expected it to work?

Post some more information and we may be able to help.

Mike.

i know it took up 270% coz the memory bar in the corner told me so.

Ask my school what the eff I'm using...and as far as I can tell, I'm writing in English... (PIC Logicator or some sh*t like that)

Hanxa said:
i know it took up 270% coz the memory bar in the corner told me so.

Ask my school what the eff I'm using...and as far as I can tell, I'm writing in English... (PIC Logicator or some sh*t like that)

Are you really asking for help or do you just want to gripe!:mad:

The OP mentioned PIC Logicator.

Did some digging and found

If I understand it right the user draws a flowchart and the Logicator software generates code.

Computer generated code could use up a lot of memory.

The OP should direct his ill will at the Logicator software rather then the PIC or PICAX...

EDIT:
Could also be that the instructor used a quick start tool. Students are running without knowing how to walk.

Last edited:
In the many years I've been using PICs I've found that almost without exception (and always read the Microchip Errata sheets) that anytime a PIC program crashed or was simply unreliable was because of some I did wrong.
A well designed PIC device will pretty much run forever, I had an old 16C54 running continuously for years.

gregmcc:
You can for its call MACRO.

Hanxa:
Microcontroller Code overflow is no different than the overflow of anything else in the world. Its not a leakage. Its a spill. Leakages are the fault of the container. Spills are the fault of the fillers. If 4K, 8K, 16K, 32K, or 64K does not suffice, time to break down an communicate with your chip at the chip level which is magnitudes of order and ever increasingly more efficient and compact than the programmers level.

Speaking in the collective conscious of the PIC spirit:
"I wish these humans would stop and look before just haphazardly dumping crap down our throats" - Collective PIC Spirit.

3v0 said:
If I understand it right the user draws a flowchart and the Logicator software generates code.

Computer generated code could use up a lot of memory.

The OP should direct his ill will at the Logicator software rather then the PIC or PICAX...

My thoughts exactly. OP really hates Logicator's code.
Yes people write is assembly. All the time.
A lot of people write C.

Hint: Using float type is outrageously slow and makes the code larger. And virtually nobody needs it, even though all the new guys think they do.

More CODE ERRORS or NOT WORKING codes makes me improve to think in a different manner, I never ignore them & go.

I really like that fault finding & troubleshooting stuff thats the interesting part of programming for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back