Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

someone working with 'Press-n-Peel'?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have worked with Press'n'peel - quite good, but expensive.

You need to make sure you give it enough heat, some experimentation will be required. The biggest problem is tracks not sticking when you remove the PnP from the copper. I find it easier to seperate the PnP from the board, if you quench it under cold running water.

Let us know how you go with it.

yes don't be tempted to peel it off straight away as the toner is still cooling and is still in a semi-liquid state. leave it to cool for about halfhour in a room then peel.

Phasor where do you get your PnP sheets?? I get mine at Altronics on Parramata Rd, duck street for $21.

EDIT: for 5 sheets that is.

pike said:
Phasor where do you get your PnP sheets?? I get mine at Altronics on Parramata Rd, duck street for $21.

Hey, that's pretty cheap (comparatively). I'll have to go there next time :)

Electric Rain: We're talking AUD$, your 11.95 is US$, doesn't help us :-(

BTW, I also find that putting the board in the freezer for 5 mins after ironing works well too.

Phasor said:
pike said:

Hey, that's pretty cheap (comparatively). I'll have to go there next time :)

Electric Rain: We're talking AUD$, your 11.95 is US$, doesn't help us :-(

BTW, I also find that putting the board in the freezer for 5 mins after ironing works well too.

Ah yes... of course. That was dumb of me. :oops: :p Use this: https://www.xe.com/ucc/ And you'll be able to see that my price is STILL lower. 11.95 US$ comes to 17.1449 AUD. :wink: Tell me if we're talking about the same thing here, too... See ya,

Rain

Electric Rain said:
Ah yes... of course. That was dumb of me. :oops: :p Use this: https://www.xe.com/ucc/ And you'll be able to see that my price is STILL lower. 11.95 US$ comes to 17.1449 AUD. :wink: Tell me if we're talking about the same thing here, too...

Yes, it is the same stuff, but remember there are also shipping costs (according to the website US$6 to US states), and besides, there's no option to ship overseas (only US, Mexico and Canada).

Phasor said:
Electric Rain said:
Ah yes... of course. That was dumb of me. :oops: :p Use this: https://www.xe.com/ucc/ And you'll be able to see that my price is STILL lower. 11.95 US$ comes to 17.1449 AUD. :wink: Tell me if we're talking about the same thing here, too...

Yes, it is the same stuff, but remember there are also shipping costs (according to the website US$6 to US states), and besides, there's no option to ship overseas (only US, Mexico and Canada).

... Well, you got me there. Nicely done. But for you US citizens, it's a good price don't you think? :p

Here's a few hints for using PnP.

To help it adhere to the PCB, I've heard the suggestion to etch it slightly first (after thoroughly cleaning, of course) to give it a bit more "tooth".

PnP works will with LaserJet toner. Horribly with copier toner. The copier toner is too squishy and tends to bleed out or squish out when transferred to the PCB, making the traces too wide or makes them run together.

I'm also told that most toner reloads for LaserJets produce better results that the original toner supplied by hp does.

I don't much like using a standard clothing iron to do the transfer. Three of the most critical variables, TEMPERATURE, PRESSURE and TIME are totally uncontrolled. I prefer to use a dry mount press (or a T-shirt iron for decal transfers). With these, you can set the pressure and temperature and then with these two items under control, you can work on how long the sandwich has to stay between the platens and get the time issue under total control. When I had access to a dry mount press, I got nearly perfect PnP results everytime.

The suggestions about letting the sandwich cool to room temperature are so darned right. I always had a boxer fan blowing on my freshly-ironed boards to cool them faster. Pulling the film off too early will certainly result in the loss of toner from the PCB. You can always fill in small missing sections with a Sharpie or with Testors flat red model paint. I like the flat red because it seems to work the best. I don't know why the color affects the stuff, but it does.

Dean

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back