Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

somebody please help me identify this component.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GraveYard_Killer

**broken link removed**

what is this component? im trying to repair a dlink linksys router, and found out this component is shorted on both terminals giving 0 ohms. in the PCB it was labeled D1, i am assuming this is some kind of a diode?

Hmmm labeled "D1" , a diode sounds a fair bet , does the trackwork lead back to the power supply by any chance.. an ohms reading will tell you little if it is adiode , does your meter have a diode /transitor test function ? it should show a voltage drop of around .6volts if its working, failng that try it in series with an led and a suitable battery

Handy tip : always include a reference in the image so the scale of the object may be ascertained

ps : that looks like a nasty crack down the side lol

It could be a 1 amp surface mount diode, you will have to estimate the voltage rating from the voltages in the circuit. Also, the circuit will have to be analyzed to determine if the diode needs to be super fast or not; if in doubt use a fast one. On the other hand, if the cathode band is toward the positive voltage, it could be a zener diode. Again, the circuit will give a clue.

Looks like an SMBJ13 transient suppression diode.

Take a look at page 3 of this datasheet, under the "Device Marking Code" column. If it's correct, then your kit has probably had a serious spike that's even killed the transient suppression diode.

https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2005/10/5886.pdf

Farnell don't stock the 13V version so a similar device can also be found at RS - Stock no: 486-5069

Good Luck!

MrB.

it was from the linksys router of my cousin. he plugged the 110Vac adaptor(12Vdc output) to a 220V outlet. then the router didn't light anymore.

i just removed that diode and it worked fine. if its a suppression diode, can you suggest any subsitute for that one? thanks

I see your profile lists you as in the Philippines, in which case I don't know what suppliers you have locally.

The diode is a 13V (clamp voltage), 600W peak power device, the idea being it clamps fast pulses etc present on the incoming 12V power line. Other names for these devices are Transil & TransZorb I believe.

If you can point me in the direction of a web-site for a supplier local to you I can take a look & suggest an alternative. In the UK we use, RS Components, Farnell (Newark in the USA), Digikey etc etc, but I'm not sure if they have a presence in the Philippines.

Regards,

MrB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back