Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Some Questions Which Confused Me =/

Status
Not open for further replies.

westkid85

Hi everyone, i was asked by few questions which confused me for quite some time,:)

We all know that in order to control the LED brightness, we can use a resistor in order to control the brightness,
but i was told that this isnt a good idea because it dissipate some power.
and i was told there is a better way which is to use the motor to control the LED brightness and it is perfered because it doesnt dissipate power.
If anyone know know what it the method and how is it be done?:confused:

my 2nd question is in order to use PIC to detect light source, i planning to use a LDR(Light Dependant Resistor) on it. But the problem is LDR detect light by varying the resistance and PIC detect the signal by voltage, the problem is how do i convert the change in resistance to voltage signal in order to be detected by the PIC?:confused:

westkid85 said:
Hi everyone, i was asked by few questions which confused me for quite some time,:)

We all know that in order to control the LED brightness, we can use a resistor in order to control the brightness,
Only if you need to save power, as in battery operated.​
and i was told there is a better way which is to use the motor to control the LED brightness and it is perfered because it doesnt dissipate power.
It is called PWM or Pulse Width Modulation. You generate a square wave and use it to control the power to the LED. As the ratio of hi to low increases the LED gets brighter. Wikipedia will have good info on this.​
my 2nd question is in order to use PIC to detect light source, i planning to use a LDR(Light Dependant Resistor) on it. But the problem is LDR detect light by varying the resistance and PIC detect the signal by voltage, the problem is how do i convert the change in resistance to voltage signal in order to be detected by the PIC?:confused:
Use the LDR as one half of a voltage divider.​

westkid85 said:
:

I wouldn't say that it doesn't dissipate power. The device that you're using to modulate the pulse (in this case a motor) is dissipating the power instead of the resistor. Theres no free lunch, energy is still conserved. However, it may be more efficient, but in the end we're talking about the power dissipated by an LED. I think using a PWM to control the brightness of a LED is like using a bazooka where a BB gun will do. Unless of course you're already using the PWM for something else and have the signal available.

hmmm...anyone know how to solve my 2nd problem?
what is the meaning of one half of a voltage devider and how could this be done?

If you have your LDR from the pic pin to 5V and a 20k resistor from the same pin to ground then when the LDR is illuminated the pic will see a high on it's input.

Mike.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back