Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

some questions about voltage regulator

Status
Not open for further replies.

miaomiaooh

usually use voltage regulator to step down voltage, the pin 1 (Vin) and pin 2 (Vout) should place a capacitor,y should place it??
then how i know wat value capacitor i should to use??
wat effect of the capacity higher or lower for a voltage regulator??

If you are talking about a 3-terminal regulator, please include a part number. For these, check the data sheet for appropriate values. The caps are needed for stability purposes.

Analog said:
If you are talking about a 3-terminal regulator, please include a part number. For these, check the data sheet for appropriate values. The caps are needed for stability purposes.

the voltage regulator is 7808, i found some data sheet about the 78xx,pin 1 is place 0.33uF and pin 3 is place 0.1uF.
if i place both 15pF, wat different?

If the datasheet says to use certain capacitors, then why change them to be 22,000 times smaller in value?? 15pF is almost nothing.

15pf is too small for a three terminal regulator unless you're using it for phase margin compensation in a more exotic regulator but we don't really know since you haven't posted a schematic!

audioguru said:
If the datasheet says to use certain capacitors, then why change them to be 22,000 times smaller in value?? 15pF is almost nothing.
wat the function of capacitor for voltage regulator??if i dun place it,wat will happen??

Look up the meaning of stability. The regulator's datasheet says they are for stability.
A regulator might oscillate without the recommended capacitors and the datasheet shows the output step response with overshoot and ringing when the output capacitor is too small.

The caps are for stability and they help regulate the output. The response of the regulator is some what slow. For example if you a using the regulator to drive a device that outputs a fast pulsating voltage output the regulator want be able to respond to the fast changing o/p current demand and the output of the regulator also begins pulsating.(Disastorous if you are driving a MCU). The caps works by providing the necessary current till the regulator can respond. So small caps will be ineffective depending on you application. A too large one will increase your start up times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back