Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

some questions about microchip products

Status
Not open for further replies.

samcheetah

hi all,

i went to the sample page of the microchip website and i have some questions about the part numbers of PICs

what does the I/SP suffix mean??? i know that the I/P means an extended temperature range but what about this one?

what is the difference between a 300mil PDIP and a PDIP. isnt PDIP a standard size, or are there several versions of PDIP

the 24AA16 and the 24LC16B have the same amount of memory and features. the only difference is that the AA version can be operated at lower voltages (about 1.8 i think). so why two products?? why not just the AA version. and which is better

From **broken link removed**,
it would seem that the "S" in "SP" only implies that it's the skinny DIP, used solely to differentiate the packaging from the non-skinny. :shock:
Anyway, do you think the infamous 16F877 is 300mil?
As to why they have diff range of products for low voltage operation, I'm not too sure, but there could be a variety of reasons.
1. Market segmentation
2. Newer design
3. Just different labelling after going through performance evaluations. (No 2 chips are the same after all!)

samcheetah said:
hi all,
what is the difference between a 300mil PDIP and a PDIP. isnt PDIP a standard size, or are there several versions of PDIP

The standard 28pin dip is 600mil wide. Skinny DIP is the narrower 300mil. This is relevant for the PIC16F873 & similar devices.

the 24AA16 and the 24LC16B have the same amount of memory and features. the only difference is that the AA version can be operated at lower voltages (about 1.8 i think). so why two products?? why not just the AA version. and which is better

The parts are matched to devices that operate at the same voltage level. Some microprocessors operate at 5V, 3.3V and now down to 1.8V. you have to use memories and other devices that operate at the same voltage. Lower voltages are required for higher density and cooler operating devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back