Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

some other forum "Can you belive this?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like someone doesn't have a sense of the appropriate. Denying the use of descriptive words (even those considered foul by some) is denying the emotions that accompany them, which is human nature. Especially on the net though people must strive to be polite, but from what little you describe of your actions I'd say it was a massive overreaction on their part. Get used to it though, it'll happen frequently anywhere you go. Here is no different though you have to be pretty annoying to get noticed (though I've had a few run ins). Appropriate use of language is always appreciated, which means not using expletives without warrant or excessively. Intimation is usually funnier anyways, so direct use of expletives is usually the last resort to intelligent discourse, not the first.

Tightly wound community groups tend to do this to exclude outsiders, it's almost an initiation rite. While the forums here are not immune to that, the threads that go that badly off track tend to self advertise their own failings. I've only ever seen moderator intervention 2 or three times at the most and they were all warranted. I get into tiff's with Nigel (a moderator here) relatively frequently due to differences of opinions, but I have no animosity towards him (and I hope he doesn't have any towards me) about those differences. Sometimes I'm wrong, sometimes he's wrong, sometimes we both have good points that the other doesn't want to agree with, but it's generally cordial. As far as other forums or problems you have other places, that's what the ****-chat forum is for, among other possible uses =)

Sceadwian said:
I get into tiff's with Nigel (a moderator here) relatively frequently due to differences of opinions, but I have no animosity towards him (and I hope he doesn't have any towards me) about those differences. Sometimes I'm wrong, sometimes he's wrong, sometimes we both have good points that the other doesn't want to agree with, but it's generally cordial.

It's one of lifes small pleasures! :D

But on differences in acceptable language, here's a recent true local story.

I live in North Derbyshire, which borders on South Yorkshire, and a common term of address from some is calling people 'duck' - as in "Hello duck", "How are you duck" etc.

Now this guy came from an area where this usage is commonplace, he is a Paramedic, and he was called out to a non-responsive lady collapsed in the street. As those of you who have done First Aid course know, you first try to attract their attention, to see if they are conscious or not, and he said "can you hear me duck" - to which she didn't reply. Anyway she wasn't breathing, he performed CPR, started her breathing again, and saved her life.

Next thing he knows, the ladies daughter has written an official letter of complaint to the Ambulance service about his "inappropriate behaviour" calling her mother 'duck', claiming it upset her greatly. This led to the Paramedic being suspended from work for a number of months, while it was investigated, and taken to court.

Eventually he was cleared, but he was suspended for months - I can only imagine the womans daughter was trying to get a cash payout from the Ambulance service?.

Incidently, I know of a similar case years back, I can't remember the exact circumstances, but a local Paramedic who saved a ladies life was accused of misconduct by her - leading to suspension, and it so destroyed the Paramedics life he tried to kill himself, by carbon monoxide poisoning in his garage. Unfortunately, his wife (who he wasn't expecting back till much later), came back earlier and found him - saving his life, but leaving him permanently brain damaged! :p

It must be a midlands thing, I've heard people from Northampton way saying similar things like "alright my duck" and "never mind my duck" but it tends to be the older folk.

Hero999 said:
It must be a midlands thing, I've heard people from Northampton way saying similar things like "alright my duck" and "never mind my duck" but it tends to be the older folk.

My local pub/club, sadly now knocked down and built over with flats, used to be run by a Scottish couple, with Irish connections. So there were a number of long term Irish staying there, renovating the place - the usual ones were Shamus, Shamus and Alan.

Anyway, a girl who lived down the road from me, known as 'Big Jackie' due to her overly impressive chest :p , came from an area where 'duck' was commonplace. Anyway, she would walk in the pub and say "hello duck", and the Irish lads used to dive under the tables! :D After a couple of years they seemed to get used to it, and only flinched a bit!.

I am frequently called a duck. Look at my avatar.
It doesn't bother me.

So now you Admit to calling him a d*** H***, not just d***. IMO there's a major difference.

Anything else you forgot to tell us?

Groundhog day ?

Reading this thread I get an overwhelming sense of deja-vu, I checked the posting dates three times !

On the subject of expletives, would it not be sufficient to call somebody a "nutter" or "hopeless" ? is it really required to have gender-relocation terms ?

All I would dare to add is, as it says at the top of the page,
"Please be polite and respect your fellow members."

mechie said:
On the subject of expletives, would it not be sufficient to call somebody a "nutter" or "hopeless" ? is it really required to have gender-relocation terms ?
That'd be a step in the right direction, but personally I try to even avoid derogatory labels (e.g. "nutter" or "hopeless") that are difficult to impossible to qualify. Unless your intention is to alienate yourself from your target, there's really no purpose that name-calling can serve you, regardless of the validity.

There's a very distinct line between reasoning and constructive criticism, and being purposefully offensive through name-calling. Be critical if you must, but don't feel obligated to descend to the level of offensive people by labelling them for what they, even in actuality, may be.

Just be careful with the people on any forum, they could be sensitive like nigel :p

If you get too frustrated and need to "simmer", just watch the Doo Dah Doo Doo Video on my website :D

Note: Nigel, I honestly believe that you use the stick out tongue in every post/response I see you do. :)

I know what you mean, silent bob and I were treated like that on the gay mechaps website's forum. Wouldnt listen to anything we said and would tell us to take a massive steaming **** on it. They were completely immature and I hope they get crushed by a giant tire.

Krumlink said:
They were completely immature and I hope they get crushed by a giant tire.
Yes it certainly sounds as though there is a lot of immaturity around.

Richard Principal said:
Now lets cut the crap and get on with it,
Question: Do I have spell it out?
Answer: YES it seems so.
Some of us worked out what you were on about straight away and thought:

"Looks like mummy will have to pick up all the toys off the nursery floor, little Dick has thrown them out of the cot".

Personally I found the walk around the duck pond much more interesting.

JimB

Krumlink said:
If you get too frustrated and need to "simmer", just watch the Doo Dah Doo Doo Video on my website :D

Goodness, man... did I miss something-- Is this like the new "shameless plug" section of the forums?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back