Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

some "ebay suppliers" are a real joke

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thunderchild

I've just been around ebay looking at how much we may get for my dads quad 303/33/FM3 setup after fixing the amp and notice just how many cowboys there are selling "condenser kits" for the quad, some of these nuts have been selling 63 V condensers as PSU condensers. Now I know that the originals are 100 V and haven't the foggiest why quad used them as the PSU could reach 104 volts (while unlikely) and with electrolictic a fair bit of safety margin is required. When I tackled one of these sellers they said that they had never measured more than 70 V on a quad303: WHAT the flipping transformer is at least 70 V RMS never mind its peak !

For any of those planning on working on a quad be warned: you will be dealing with at least 90 Volts, with the caps replaced thats the output with no speakers connected - a very possible possibility.

Also, what on earth are 20'000 Uf going to do to a quad on it's PSU instead of 4'000 uF other than blow the rectifier and cost more than neccesary ???

Again for those embarking on quad repairs I used a pair of 2'700 uF condensers and at moderate volume when I pulled the power on the amp it kept going for about 10 seconds, seriously no joke.

Well there you go, I've said my bit !

to be perfectly safe and make sure I'm not doing the person I sell the amp to a bad turn i used 160 V caps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back