Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Some clarifications for prolonging laptop battery life

Status
Not open for further replies.

arunb

Hi,

I have some questions regarding my Laptop (Toshiba Tecra A8) battery (Lithium Ion).

I have googled for this subject and have found some very useful information.

Most of these sites suggested that the laptop battery must be kept charged at all times, and discharged once in two weeks.

Also they do not recommend draining the battery completely.

Are these tips correct, or should I discharge the battery regularly ??

thanks
a

Reading the guide that came with the computer is a good start. Mine recommended to remove the battery if the computer is expected to be used for several hours without needed to be moved, if the battery doesn't need charging.

The big killers, trying to charge a battery that's already full, heat, fully draining the battery and number of cycles.

If you won't need to move your computer and the battery is charged pull it to get it away from heat. Don't leave it in a hot car, or really anywhere with extreme temps or temp swings. Don't run on the battery if you don't need to. Try to slowly drain the battery, don't "full throttle" it until it's gone. Lower your screen brightness, turn down the volume, turn off and remove accessories, try not to run Prime95 (just an example!) and let the hard drive spin down at idle times. Don't let the battery drop below 20%. My manual suggested letting the battery drain as low as possible the first time to calibrate the charge indicator but after that to avoid it. Lithium Ion batteries have a limited number of charge/discharge cycles before the anode degrades.

Some would consider those measures extreme, some wouldn't. Pick the ones you feel are worth the "investment".

doesn't the charging stop after the battery is full ?. The battery icon says power from the AC adapter is being used and not from the battery. So is it OK to leave the battery in the laptop ?

You'd like to think so but that's not *always* the case. A big reason for removing a laptop battery would be to get it away from the sometimes extreme heat.

Again, some consider that to be an extreme measure, if you don't want to do it, don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back