Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

some advice on a thermostat please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fuseblower

hello everyone again,
I'm thinking of buying a thermostat for an incubator that iv'e built
here's the product in question>>

**broken link removed**

In the spec's it will cover a range of 5 - 30 degrees C (38 - 86 degrees F )
but i need at least 98-102 degrees F
i know some basics about electronics but im no where near you guys out there.
so my question is do i just need to replace the thermistor or is there anything else i should change any help would be appreciated

i found a schematic at>>
**broken link removed**
for this unit
i want to thank you all in advance and hope someone can help me out.
cheers paul

you may consider the Universal Thermostat design published in Elektor UK magazine Summer 2008 (july/August 2008) by RUUD VAN STEENIS on page 82

In the spec's it will cover a range of 5 - 30 degrees C (38 - 86 degrees F )

i found a schematic at>>
**broken link removed**
for this unit
From the schematic, you can either reduce the value of R5 or increase the value of R6 to raise the temperature that the relay trips. The NTC sensor resistance is reduced as the temperature goes up, raising the voltage at pin 13 of the op amp. So you want to raise the voltage a pin 12 of the op amp to raise the trip point.

so its not just a case of changeing the thermistor then ?

Crutschow appears apt. Nice suggestion. By changing the resistor above and below the setting pot, we can change the range.

What i suggested is a full design.

ok to change the operating range from 41-86 degrees F to 41-102 degrees F i need to increase the value of R6 is this true ????????
would you know by what amount or is this trial and error ( a bit at a time)
cheers paul

ok to change the operating range from 41-86 degrees F to 41-102 degrees F i need to increase the value of R6 is this true ????????
would you know by what amount or is this trial and error ( a bit at a time)
cheers paul
If you measured the value the the thermistor at the desired temperature you could calculate the value required.

If you just want to do it by trial and error, I would try increasing the value of R6 by about double. Just use clip leads to connect different resistors until you find the right value. The correct value would give you the desired temperature trip point at about the midpoint of the pot.

Incidentally, that change would also raise the lower trip point above 41 degrees F.

a range of 5 - 30 degrees C (38 - 86 degrees F )

If your Δ is now only 4°F I'd look into a bridge circuit if the link doesn't already use one; this is a pretty tight range.

Thanks Carl
well im not bothered about the range i can get as long as i can maintain a 99 degree F
thats what i need
once the temperature goes above 99 deg F then it will switch of the heat, then switch it back on again once it drops below thats the general idea

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back