Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Solid State Relay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, can i use an SSR as an h-bridge instead of BJTs to switch a DC Motor in two directions because i want the rated current between 8-14 A
at 24 V

Hi, can i use an SSR as an h-bridge instead of BJTs to switch a DC Motor in two directions because i want the rated current between 8-14 A
at 24 V

Any SSR I have ever heard of is for switching AC only. The actual switch inside the SSR is a triac. If you try switching DC, the triac will switch on but it will not switch off.

Yep, you can get AC or DC SSR's. DC's use a FET, AC's a pair of FET's or a pair of SCR's (a triac).
As to the initial question ...
I don't see any right off that aren't fairly expensive ($65+) that hit the current requirements you're looking for. And you'd need four of 'em to switch directions since they're SPST's.

How about a real relay? You might need to hook up some drive FET's to turn it on and off using a micro (if that's what you're doing). I guess it depends on how fast you need to switch it on and off.

Last edited:
14A is a lot of current. All of the H-bridge or SSR's up in that range that I could find are either obsolete or really expensive. Short of building one up from discretes, you might try running 3 of **broken link removed** in parallel to hit your current requirement.

No , sorry i mean by 14A as stall current as im scared if the robot's motors would hit a wall and then stopped suddendly , circuits would be burnt and it happend alot with the
L298 h-bridge driver ...

Again, you might just put 2 or 3 of those in parallel to increase their current tolerance.

Or you could rig up a current-sense resistor (would have to be pretty low to regularly hit 8A+, like 0.1 or 0.2 ohms or so) to kill the motor if a certain threshold were exceeded. I'm not too sure I'd like hooking up a line tied to an inductive motor straight to an ADC input though ... I'd have to think about it a while, use some kind of resistor divider to read the voltage off of the current-sense resistor maybe. I'd probably also put a low-breakdown zener or TVS on the ADC pin as well, but maybe that's just me being paranoid ... :)

at 24 V
Solid-state relays generally have millisecond operate times so would not work for pmw unless the frequency is very low.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back