Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Solid state relay for PWM kiln control

Status
Not open for further replies.

en2oh

Hi guys,

Am looking at methods of controlling a 120v kiln using a PID Ramp/Soak temperature controller. The recommended cycle time is 2 seconds so any relay (solid state or electromechanical) will be functioning rapidly. Is this going to be a problem with a solid state relay with a typical number of operations before failure rate? The cycle time of 2 seconds means tht the ssr will lat about a week, with a MTBF of 100k operations.

Thoughts/advice
Nitrous

Last edited:
Are you sure your SSR has a MBTF of only 100K cycles? If so, you are looking at the wrong SSR/.

Post a link to the data sheet of your proposed SSR.

Last edited:
IMHO, use the SSR , they switch on, I think, and off as the voltage passes through 0 volts probably have a MBTF (Mean time between failures) closer to infinity,

A solid state relay should provide many more operations than 100K cycles as you mention. Since there are no mechanical contacts to wear out it should be ideal for your application.

I just want to mention these gusy because they are a one shop stop for some: **broken link removed**

The SCR's do require a heatsink nd some thermal grease to mount and have various control inputs.

You should be aware that there are in general 3 modes of control for an AC line:
1) Slow cycle Triac/relay which is basically what you have (SST)
2) ZCP or Zero Crossing Pulse - This SCR control mode ensures that crossing occur at zero and thus uses a multiple of half cycles/ One half cycle is the minimum amount of power, other than zero.
3) PAP or Phase Angle Fired. In some cases you can get better heater lifetime, but line turn-on can occur anywhere. This allow a much finer control of power.

Furthermore, you can find a lot more varieties of AC line controllers. Some with current feedback, some with heater open detection, some with power measurement.

You might also consider a separate alarm module. I only had to do that twice in a system I put together. I really like Eurotherm, but their stuff is pricy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back