Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Solid-State Electronics and Devices-Valence electrons

Status
Not open for further replies.

lmartinel

Hey guys:

It have been out of college for a while now. I decided to start studying to take my Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) exam. However, I do not remember a lot about Chemistry. I acknowledge this is an electronics Forum but I am sure you guys can help me out with a question on valence electrons. Here goes:

Silicon is the most-used semiconductor in electronic devices. The number of valence electrons in a silicon atom is? Well, the answer is 4 valence electrons.

However, it is not clear to me where it came from. I know that Silicon has an atomic number of 14 and an electronic configuration of 1s^2 2s^2 2p^6 3s^2 3p^2 . I can see that it is willing to loose two electrons but not 4. Can anyone of you elaborate on how to come to a conclusion that indeed 4 valence electrons is the magic number.

I figure I get you guys' mind away, for a second, from your electrical stuff and get back the tiny world of valence electrons. Thank you in advance

As I recall, the noble or inert electron shell configuration is 2n².
For the first shell, n=1 and it holds 2 electrons.
For the second shell n=2, so noble configuration is 8.
For n=3, the completely full shell number is 18, but silicon only has 4 outlying electrons, and is therefore not as stable as it would be with the full complement of 18.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back