Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Solenoids

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdj21

I need an education in soleniods.

I have a diesel engine which has an emergency shut down solenoid. The solenoid is a General Electric CR9500A101E2A. From what I have found, this is a 110V AC solenoid. The electrical system on the engine is 12V DC.

What is the diference between an AC solenoid and a DC solenoid?

Detroit Diesel want's $125.00 for this solenoid. What parameters do I need to match if I want to substitute another solenoid for this one?

thanks and have a great day.

Mike.

mdj21 said:
I need an education in soleniods.

I have a diesel engine which has an emergency shut down solenoid. The solenoid is a General Electric CR9500A101E2A. From what I have found, this is a 110V AC solenoid. The electrical system on the engine is 12V DC.

What is the diference between an AC solenoid and a DC solenoid?

Detroit Diesel want's $125.00 for this solenoid. What parameters do I need to match if I want to substitute another solenoid for this one?

If it's any help?, a quick google finds this **broken link removed**. But this is from a cached page, and it doesn't seem to appear on the current pages :cry:

You Said,

Other then the physical properties of the solenoid,(bolt pattern, pin out ect..., Match the amp and voltage ratings.
Stick with DC.
If you can do that, then your well on your way.
Also, these manufacturers all use parts that are readily available to them, and you may find what you need from generic auto supply store.
Good Luck

Does this engine drive an AC generator? If so, is the solenoid powered by AC?

it is part of an AC generator, but it makes more sence to power the thing off of the engine's 12V electrical system. the next engine off of the assembly line may be going into an 18 wheeler truck with no AC generator.

what happens if you power up a 110V AC solenoid with 12V DC?

mdj21 said:
it is part of an AC generator, but it makes more sence to power the thing off of the engine's 12V electrical system. the next engine off of the assembly line may be going into an 18 wheeler truck with no AC generator.

what happens if you power up a 110V AC solenoid with 12V DC?

I would have thought very little?.

(1)
If it's driven by the 120vac generator power (the voltage holds the solenoid valve open), there's a reason for it. The emergency shut-down is for a generator problem, not an engine problem, so a 12v solenoid would be a dangerous replacement unless you added a transformer, etc. to the original circuit, powered from the 120vac.

(2)
Dang. It amazes me how folks will spend $30,000 on a vehicle, put 96,000 miles on it and then ***** when they have to shell out $120 for a water pump or $35 for brake pads or .....

If you have a diesel-powered piece of equipment, especially if powered by Detroit, Cat or Cummins, why would you not expect to pay a few bucks for an original replacement part? And why would you want to screw around with some kind of slip-shod jerry-rig for an EMERGENCY SHUT DOWN solenoid? Next, someone's going to want to substitute for the sprinkler heads on their fire protection system or use water in their brake system or cheesecloth for their emergency parachute with that kind of thinking.

(3)
Dang, Ron. Am I becoming the curmudgeon now? Are you slipping?

The only real difference between an AC solonoid and a DC one is the thickness of the laminations of the core. The AC core has thinner laminations to reduce eddy currents. The DC resistance of the DC solonoid is of concern. The AC solonoid will work on DC but might draw too much current.
BTW, solonoids are expensive, no matter where you buy them.

I'd second Dean's thinking to some extent. The shutdown is either for overspeed or just simply to shut the engine off. Either case demands a high degree of reliability. Imagine loosing engine cooling then having the shutoff solenoid fail. If it's a fire pump it would be awful to have the engine shut off because of solenoid failure - at the worst possible time.

Not sure what your application is - just encouraging some caution here.

(1)
If it's driven by the 120vac generator power (the voltage holds the solenoid valve open), there's a reason for it. The emergency shut-down is for a generator problem, not an engine problem, so a 12v solenoid would be a dangerous replacement unless you added a transformer, etc. to the original circuit, powered from the 120vac.
Dean, that's exactly the reason I asked the question. And you may be becoming a curmudgeon, but I definitely am not slipping. Did you see my post to mstecha a couple of weeks ago? I was downright cranky. :oops:

This particulat emergency shut down solenoid is only energized if the engines water temperature get too hot or if the oil pressure gets too low. if either of these occure, it is energized to release a catch which lets a spring loaded flap valve close and choke off the engines air supply to shut it down. it need not be rated for continuous duty. an overspeed sensor would be something i would like to add to the system later.

this exact same system would be put onto a PTO unit where there is no generator. i still think it would be powered from the engines electrical system, though i have nothing to back that up except for the incredible interchangeablity of parts between the diferent modles in the Detroit inline 71 series.

Wow, Dean. you are really laying into me there. i suppose you always take your car back to the dealer for parts and service? i wish i was as rich as you so that i could afford that luxary.

it sounds like there is no real problem using DC to energize an AC solenoid. any heavy current draw would only be momentary. choke off a Diesel's air and it won't run but for 5 seconds or so. besides, as soon as the fuel pressure drops below 10#, the whole shutdown system is deenergized. so long as the wires can handle the current, the batery should have no problems with a momentary heavy current draw.

thanks for the help and information. i appreciate it.

Mike.

actually, i was wrong. i just checked the Detroit manual and the wiring diagram for the shut down system does show that is is attached to the battery.

thanks again,

Mike.

Russlk said:
The only real difference between an AC solonoid and a DC one is the thickness of the laminations of the core. The AC core has thinner laminations to reduce eddy currents. The DC resistance of the DC solonoid is of concern. The AC solonoid will work on DC but might draw too much current.
BTW, solonoids are expensive, no matter where you buy them.

I have a bunch of solenoids and can say for sure that the AC solenoids do not work on DC! Small twitch as the current changes and then no force at all, although the coil current is substantial. I don't have a magnetics explanation, but that's the reality of it.

It is almost a given that your solenoid is 12V or 24V DC.

Detroit, Cat, Cummins, and many other engine manufacturers, would have their engine protection systems independent of any generated AC power.

They first protect their engine, and then if part of the package, the generator.

The generator has its own protection for overload and heat ect....

And BTW, Detroits, have the solenoid energized when the engine is running, so when you have low oil pressure, or low coolant, or whatever,,
all that happens is the solenoid is deenergized, and being spring loaded, the fuel valve/bypass, is shut off.
Newer engines do this differently, each unit injector , which have there own solenoids, shut down.
In any case,

GOOD LUCK.

i have the dead solenoid in my hand here. removed it myself. name plate says General Electric CR9500A101E2A. unless i have screwed up, this is an 110V AC solenoid. it's painted to match the rest of the engine which leads me to believe that it is original. thourh, it's possible that it is not original and was repainted when the engine may have been repainted.

i have the Detroit 2-71 manual in front of me as well as the engine its self to see that the two are in aggrement. the solenoid is not energized untill there is a high temp or low oil condition. it is then energized to pull a spring loaded catch holding back a spring loaded flap valve.when the engine stops, a pressure sensor on the fuel line detects that there is no fuel pressure and deenergizes the solenoid. you must be thinking of Cat or Cummins or some other manufacturer that i am unfamillar with.

i seem to be getting two diferent answers here. some people say yes, you can power an AC solenoid with DC. others say no, you can't. personally, i don't see why you can't do it. are they both not a coil of wire wraped around a core intended to produce a magnetic field to move a plunger? problem is, i don't have the extra money to be experomenting with solenoids.

i'm tempted to just measure the force required to release that flap and go DC solenoid hunting for something that will work and to hell with that AC solenoid i removed from the engine.

This is what I have found.

I guess that this would be your solenoid?

Have fun finding a DC 12V version of this shape and style.

I guess everything is application specific.

CR9500A101E2A Product Details

Cr9500a101e2a - GE CONTROL NEMA CONTROLS/IEC CONTROLS/PLC/RENEWAL PARTS
SOLENOID

CR9500A101E2A Pricing Resources

Mfr List Price:
$81.00
Resale Price:
$261.30
Last Changed:
5/27/2005

Column 1 Price Column 2 Price Column 3 Price
n/a n/a $130.65

CR9500A101E2A Multiplier Calculator Base: List Col 3 Resale

MFR List Price Multiplier %
Price / Cost
$81.00 x % = $81.00

ERef Part Number: CR9500A101E2A
Manufacturer Part Number: CR9500A101E2A
Manufacturer: GE CONTROL NEMA CONTROLS/IEC CONTROLS/PLC/RENEWAL PARTS
Model: CR9500
Type: PULL
Voltage Rating: 115 VAC
Frequency Rating: 60 HZ
Horizontal Position Magnetic Force: 2.4 LB
Maximum Stroke: 1 INCH
Enclosure: STRONG BOX
Mounting: LEFT SIDE
Designated Size: A
Additional Information: POWER RATING 50 VA SEALED, 400 VA AT MAXIMIM STROKE
Magnetic Force against Gravity: 2.1 LB
Magnetic Force with Gravity: 2.7 LB
Manufacturer Short Name: GE
Manufacturer UCC#: 783166
Item Weight: 2.7 lb.
Classification: Motor Control Solenoid
Short Description: 115V PULL SOLENOID

Full Description: PULL; 115 VAC; 60 HZ; HORIZONTAL POSITION MAGNETIC FORCE 2.4 LB; 1 INCH MAXIMUM STROKE; STRONG BOX; LEFT SIDE MOUNTING; DESIGNATED SIZE A; CR9500 MODEL; POWER RATING 50 VA SEALED, 400 VA AT MAXIMIM STROKE

Catalog Cut Sheets: GE CONTROL NEMA CONTROLS/IEC CONTROLS/PLC/RENEWAL PARTS CR9500A101E2A Catalog Data Sheets

thanks, hjl4.

that's some usefill information. i had found most of it myself except for those numbers on the force.

thanks again,

Mike.

Hello mdj21,

I work on boats for MTU official service and I´ve still never seen a shutdown solenoid working in AC mounted on an engine, always 24 or 12 Vdc activation (low voltage not so dangerous).

I think there must be some compatible ones which can trigger the S.D.A.F. but always its shape and position can be a problem for the real replacement.

If you already checked on the drawings the solenoid is working on the 12 Vdc line and the specifications says it´s 110Vac solenoid is clear it can also work in DC, however be sure that the solenoid worked before on that function or that it´s original part with the engine spare part catalogue, may be exists the compatible DC one and somebody fixed the wrong one once was damaged.

You can also supply 110Vac to the solenoid to test it.

i don't know what they were powering it with. none of the wires for that system were there when i got my hands on the motor.

i'm not entirely sure that the AC solenoid i pulled off of that motor was original to the engine. the parts book shows a solenoid that looks nothing like the one i have and it sayt that they are 12 or 24 volts.

i think i'm just going to find a DC 12V solenoid that will work.

thanks.

Mike.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back