Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Solenoid speed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scarr

Hi,

I am looking for a fast acting movement, my restrictions are

Size < 20mm square
Power <=6v
speed < 1 ms

I did think about solenoids, does anyone know how fast these operate? or any other fast acting small electronically controlled device?

Thanks

P.S. I am sure there will be more questions so please ask away.

You really need to better define the application such as gas, air, water or some other medium. When you say size 20mm what size is that? Port size 20mm? Once you have a good handle on all of the workings then seek out a good reputable manufacturer like for example Red Hat Asco valves or similar. Good manufacturers will provide credible data sheets showing their valve transition times. When transition time is not shown a simple call to the manufacturer's engineering department will get application answers. Start with a data sheet. That is my suggestion. Some solenoids are Normally Open and some Normally Closed. Some open fast but close slowly for example water valve solenoids to prevent hammering in the pipes. All depends on the application.

Ron

Even a low-mass relay armature is hard pressed to pull-in in less than 10ms; release in a 100ms

Solenoid type diesel injectors in vehicles operate in a few uS, but thats irrelavent here.
A cap discharge arrangement would speed up yer average sol, 1ms however is fast.

How much movement and force do you need?

Thanks for the replies so far,

OK, it's to move a small piece of plastic 10x10x2mm so nothing heavy at all, this is a shutter in front of a hole (but not air or water tight), this will be spring loaded so it will return, as it is so light I was going to make a small lever at one side / corner and flick this to open the shutter. hope this helps.

P.S. But looking at the answers it's looking like I might not be able to use a solenoid :-( any other suggestions?

Oh OK, you are looking for a Linear Solenoid. They come in many sizes and flavors.
https://www.mcmaster.com/#solenoids/=10aph81
Just a few to give you some ideas. The travel distance is known as the "stroke". The link is just to give you some ideas, a Google of Linear Solenoids should bring up dozens of hits.

Ron

this is a shutter in front of a hole (but not air or water tight)
If you want an optical shutter, a liquid crystal one should meet the 1ms requirement.

Fuel injector solenoids open and close in a few ms. They use a high initial current to rapidly move the solenoid and then a smaller current to hold it open, using a circuit such as this.
But if this is for optical purposes, then other methods may work better, such as alec_t noted.

Yes thats true for petrol, I mentioned diesel, bosch like a lot of others use a 48v supply, and they are much faster than petrol and open in much less than a ms, they have to as the rail pressure is in the order of 1000's of psi, unlike petrols diesel engines vary the rail pressure, the injector is also driven with pwm as they have diffrent opening positions to control the spray pattern.

If you spring load your solenoid so that the spring holds the armature in the actuated position you'll speed it up a little, as when it fires the spring will be assisting you, this of course assumes the solenoid can be driven both ways, some do some dont.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back