Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

soldering woes

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrDEB

been soldering parts on a home etched pc board but the joints look dull, not bright.
I know how to solder but?
could it be that the solder is lead free?
even tried the silver solder stuff, smaller solder etc.
saw some tin coating one can apply to home etched boards for better? solderability but does it really help??

Ensure the copper is absolutely clean and spotless, and it solders perfect well.

If you're using lead free it does look dull, but surely you kinow what solder you're using?.

I spray a very light coat of conformal coating over the copper after etching. It keeps the air away from the traces and they will not oxidize. The coating rapidly burns away when soldering. If you make the coat to heavy you can remove it with an abrasive pad or paint thinner.

Clear spray acrylic works too.

Liquid flux can make soldering easier.

You can also get dull joints if you keep reflowing the solder, i.e. if you feel you didn't get it right the first time and just jam the iron back into the blob to get it where you want it.

Torben

Thanks for all the input

the flux spray looks good, need to locate in states.
One of the problems is the board was never coated after etching.
A conformal coating? need to research.
hopfully the pocket eq will work as there are several questionable areas of solder joints.
Purchased some flux from Radio shack yesterday(yes we are using rosin core solder.
will be coating the next 2 home etched boards.
thanks all

Newer a problem.........

hopfully the pocket eq will work as there are several questionable areas of solder joints.
Purchased some flux from Radio shack yesterday(yes we are using rosin core solder.
thanks all

The thin film of oxidation on my home made boards is removed with a little rubbing with an art eraser, just before soldering. When the copper is shiny then they are ready.
Newer had any problems, when using this easy (and cheap) process.

Last edited:
The eraser works.

If anyone finds a source for the FLux Spray in the US please post it.

It looks like this spray is nothing but rosin dissolved in alcohol, because the instructions says apply to board immediately after etching, in other words before it oxidizes.

thanks all
Dr Deb jee,
Try to get the oxidized board cleaned with 3M scratch pads (sold at every shop in India) wipe it with spirit. immediately you will be able to solder with normal resin core unless the type you are using is 50:50 or 40:60
please ensure that the lead used is of good make and of 60:40 . after soldering you may apply aerosol conformal coat.
As indicated by 3v0, an ink eraser works well to clean oxidized copper tracks and solder islands.
you said ".............need to locate in states"
where are you located as of now?

Last edited:
I am in the US.

The conformal has worked faily well for me.

The eraser thing is fine if you finish the board. I then to jump from project and a coated board has nice bright traces when you come back to it after a while.

I was thinking a spray with a bit of flux in the mix could be even better. Always trying to improve the process. :)

I do not know that cooking up this spray flux is a DIY thing.

I am in the US.

The conformal has worked faily well for me.

The eraser thing is fine if you finish the board. I then to jump from project and a coated board has nice bright traces when you come back to it after a while.

I was thinking a spray with a bit of flux in the mix could be even better. Always trying to improve the process. :)

I do not know that cooking up this spray flux is a DIY thing.
@3v0,
i was quoting part of Mr DEB's post and asked . Now I am confused, as you are many of the issues . I well know 3v0 is from us and I was fondly watching many of your posts on the Junebug assembly mega issue. In fact Me DEB , As per my imagination, could be at Mumbai (Bombay) in India.

I is in IDAHO

Thats part of the 47 states
yes there are only 47? states
some are still commonwelths.
In Salmon, Idaho
3 hours from any big city w/ a Home depot or Staples.
We do have a Radio Shack that sells tires, glass shop and Radio Shack all in one building.
Need to locate supply of that spray

Thanks, Mr Deb. I got clarified now.
Yes Nigel. and Bill, there are Scouts in India.

@3vo, it was me who got confused.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back