Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Soldering terminals of 7k67 (type J) battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rusttree

I'm working on a small battery-powered device that has a slim form factor. I found the **broken link removed**, which turned out to have exactly the right shape that I was looking for. I picked one up and attempted to solder some leads onto the terminals, but quickly discovered that wasn't as easy as it sounds. The smooth, recessed terminals wanted nothing to do with the solder.

I've tried scratching up the surface of the terminal, but that didn't make much of a difference. In fact, the plastic casing of the battery started deforming almost instantly while applying the iron to the metal. So I'm thinking I want to avoid soldering directly to the terminals at all.

I'm hoping someone will know some clever trick to attach leads to this type of battery. Any ideas? Thanks much in advance.

Last edited:
What about a Capacitor-based spot welder?

It's a common DIY way of attaching tabs onto rechargeable cells.
However seeing as how the 7k67 is of alkaline chemistry, and thus one-time use, I would say try some kind of spring contact instead.

Otherwise you'd have to reattach wires/tabs every time the battery needs replacing.

It's actually a one-time use device, thus the alkaline. It should never need a battery replacement.

I thought about the spring contacts, but I couldn't fabricate a clip to hold it that would stay on the battery (I tried bending a piece of sheet metal into a fitting, but I couldn't solder onto that either). I'm just a home hobbyist, so I don't have any kind of custom fabrication equipment. Or a big budget for specialized equipment =/.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back