Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Soldering stations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thunderchild

I've been looking around at soldering stations and have noticed that all of the ones I come across have the bit inside element type iron rather than the bit over element type. As the bit over element is known to be more efficient (more heat into the bit and less into the air) why do all these soldering stations, some quite costly use the more inefficient type of iron ?

Where in the iron does the temperature get measured normally ?

What do you mean bit inside element type vs bit over element type?
From my experience all I can say is that the temperature measuring element is usually very closely coupled to the heating element itself.

Where in the iron does the temperature get measured normally ?
The simple temperature controlled irons use tips with a magnetic properties and rely on them losing their magnetism at a set temperature which causes them to lose contact with the heating element. So that type wouldn't work too well if the tip covered the element.

All I can say is make sure that it uses a real temperature controller with feedback, rather than a cheap phase control lamp dimmer circuit like the cheap Chinese solder station I bought from Maplins a few ears ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back