Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Soldering Station

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was browsing the Jameco website, and I found this soldering station. I was just wondering if anyone has used this station before, or can tell from the description, if it is a decent one to get, or if I should find one elsewhere. I would like one that is decent for basic soldering applications, so that I could use it on things like motors, switches, transformers, etc. as well as on PCB's. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated, thank you.

Go to mpja.com and look at all the irons they have. I bought a lesser model (no digital display) and I love it. Works great.

I think you will like there prices. If you are in the US, they are worth a look.

I bought a TENMA variable temp. station from MCM Electronics for $15. It's used as a standby to my pricey Weller however it seems to work just as well. To tell you the truth, a vast majority of my soldering doesn't require the need to know the exact temp of the tip. A ball park estimate is good enough and most calibrated knob types suffice. I have specialized pencils for specific tasks. My suggestion would be to buy a decent station and not pay for trendy features, but spend the extra money on spare tips and quality solder.

It appears made by an UL certified firm-- perhaps may be worth it.

why not a weller station if one can afford.

I recommend a good standard 15-50 dollar stand alone iron unless you can really spend the big bucks and get true regulated temp stations. Once you can spend 250 you can start looking at Pace, Weller, Hakko, Oki, etc. I don't see a lot of real benefit in the middling range.

I might modify the opinion above if you are doing a lot of SMD work, because then you want to vary the temp even if it isn't regulated, simply so you can lower it and not be lifting the teeny pads all the time due to overheating. But I think the 100-200 stations aren't all that much better than just a good but cheap iron.

speakerguy79 said:
I recommend a good standard 15-50 dollar stand alone iron unless you can really spend the big bucks and get true regulated temp stations. Once you can spend 250 ...
The station I posted about regulates the temp and costs about $50. Am I missing somlthing? What more do you get for $250 ?

This is the one I purchased from mpja
https://www.mpja.com/prodinfo.asp?number=15140+TL

34.95, temperature controlled and comes with an extra heating element. Tips are cheap, heats up relativly quickly. I'm VERY happy with this purchase and it's one of the reasons I recommend MPJA.
I use a 15 dollar 30 watt radio shack special (I hate that thing) for desoldering, and I abuse it heavily. The MPJA unit only gets used for 'real' work where good joints are a must. The heat up and cool down times feel like an instant if you've ever used a radio shack cheapie, even their more expesnsive temperature controlled units don't even come close.

Last edited:
Sceadwian said:
This is the one I purchased from mpja
https://www.mpja.com/prodinfo.asp?number=15140+TL

34.95, temperature controlled and comes with an extra heating element. Tips are cheap, heats up relativly quickly. I'm VERY happy with this purchase and it's one of the reasons I recommend MPJA.
I use a 15 dollar 30 watt radio shack special (I hate that thing) for desoldering, and I abuse it heavily. The MPJA unit only gets used for 'real' work where good joints are a must. The heat up and cool down times feel like an instant if you've ever used a radio shack cheapie, even their more expesnsive temperature controlled units don't even come close.

Built in desoldering is a betteroption now a days for oneoff purchaes like sodering station.perhaps a combined station could be available for say $50/-

matthewlittle2006 said:
I was just wondering if anyone has used this station before, Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated, thank you.

I have that station, and like it very much. For the price, it is a reliable piece of equipment. No complaints.

You don't want to use the same tip for mass desoldering as you generally do for high quality soldering. Most of my desoldering is solder blob style (add more solder to every dot and then heat all of them as fast as possible during removal) Gotten pretty good at it, haven't melted anything recently, excluding some problems getting big connectors off a motherboard, was at least 4 layers, I don't bother with trying to desolder from such boards anymore. It's less trouble than it's worth even if you know what you're doing. Having a cheap abuse it iron for desoldering and a good controlled one for 'work' is usually best. It can be temping to do that with soldering stations that have removable handles and just swapping handles, but the units can usually be damaged badly by accidental live connections/disconnections.

Last edited:
Hi Matt...station looks identical to one I bought over the net from here in Oz....the cable from the iron to box feels a little like a length of rubber and it has twice failed me in 12 months...it's an annoying thing to have to repair, and if you are using the iron often then expect the fine conductors in the cable to break at the handle. Hope you can get cheap replacement irons ..can't here...seems a shame to throw out the box after only a year.

Hey Matt!....Apologies! Comments I make above refer to 3VO's picture..the white unit with the cable...not YOUR Jameco unit....I go back to sleep now!

I personally like the Weller models. I have a WES51 station, and never have a problem finding tips for it. but it is more pricey than the other stations.

Whatever you decide to buy, make sure you can get replacement tips. I can get tips for my Weller from Jameco and Newark.

Heaviside said:
Hey Matt!....Apologies! Comments I make above refer to 3VO's picture..the white unit with the cable...not YOUR Jameco unit....I go back to sleep now!

Thanks for the heads up. Mine does not see daily use and so far so good. Did get a 2nd handle that I keep different tip in. Replacement handles are $7 but they are out of stock..

I like my xytronic $7 economy style soldering iron. Works perfect for me :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back