Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Soldering Stainless Steel terminal in a Wall clock movement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

iffee

I have housed a single White LED flash light cicuit in a salvaged clock movment. It has a nice one AA cell holder. I have problem soldering the stainless steel terminals of the AA cell holder. Normal 60/40 SN/PB solder does't do the job. I have many such salavaged clock movements and want to house small electronic projects requiring only one AA size battery.

Note in my country no other special solder other than 60/40 available.

email: iftikhar11@yahoo.com
Iftikhar Ahmad
Pakistan

Re: Soldering Stainless Steel terminal in a Wall clock movem

iffee said:
I have housed a single White LED flash light cicuit in a salvaged clock movment. It has a nice one AA cell holder. I have problem soldering the stainless steel terminals of the AA cell holder. Normal 60/40 SN/PB solder does't do the job. I have many such salavaged clock movements and want to house small electronic projects requiring only one AA size battery.

Note in my country no other special solder other than 60/40 available.

In that case you will have to source it from another country!, you need special solder to solder stainless steel - any decent component supplier should stock it.

Re: Soldering Stainless Steel terminal in a Wall clock movem

iffee said:
stainless steel terminals of the AA cell holder.

Are you sure these are stainless steel ? not just chrome plated tin/brass/crap ?
All the battery holders I have seen use something much cheaper than Stainless - which is a b#tch to machine :evil:
Maybe you just need more heat (use some sandpaper first to roughen the surface) a bit of brass about a half-inch square takes a lot of heating up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back