Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Soldering on household 12V Halogen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pax Writer

Hey people

I just thought I'd ask you for a piece of advice... I'm trying to make an alternative flashlight using 12V Halogen bulbs. Its been tested to work, but apparently only the first of my bulbs was solderable. I tried ramping up the heat on my iron to 400 deg, just to see if it was a heat-issue, but it does not appear so.
Do any of you have a clue how to solder the pins on these standard bulbs (G4 types and the other 12V types with built-in focusing mirrors.. The boxes don't show their names)?
If you know of alternative solutions for securing these bulbs mechanically, you're also welcome to write.

Thanks in advance.
/Pax

Why not use the socket that is designed for them? Remeve the sockets from a lighting fixture.

Maybe you could find a screw terminal wires connector with the terminals at the correct distance apart then just tighten the screws on its pins if they don't melt it.

Thanks guys. I think you're right, that the only solution is to use a socket - It'll make it much easier to replace the bulb when it blows anyway. I'll pick one up today.

Have a great day :)

/Pax

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back