Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

soldering iron tips

Status
Not open for further replies.
hello every one i have a weller SP23L 25watt soldering iron. it is great for what i am doing not but i need new tips bad i was looking to buy the tips off this site.
**broken link removed**
or any other site i also need some 60/40 solder and tip tinner/cleaner basic stuff
i just cant find tips for it and i need then badly.

thank you

Are you saying that you can't find tips at the website you listed? I believe I located the listing of spare tips at your original posted website. Look about halfway down the page, they are listed at the end of the ad for your iron(they come in pairs it says).

**broken link removed**

they have the cone tips but any others.

and what about the Polishing Bar for your tips the info

Polishing bar cleans and renews soldering tips
Removes plastic resins, oxidation, silicone grease from tip
Re-tin tip after use to prevent oxidation

davidbball13 said:
hello every one i have a weller SP23L 25watt soldering iron. it is great for what i am doing not but i need new tips bad i was looking to buy the tips off this site.
**broken link removed**
or any other site i also need some 60/40 solder and tip tinner/cleaner basic stuff
i just cant find tips for it and i need then badly.

thank you

I don't know what you are putting on your tips to make them need cleaning. a damp cellulose sponge is all i ever use, a quick wipe before soldering is all it takes.
In the olden days before iron / nickle plated tips, well that is another story.

I don't think the cheap soldering iron has temperature control. It gets so hot that it cooks and chars the rosin in the solder which is not cleaned by wiping with a damp sponge which also might cook and char.

audioguru said:
I don't think the cheap soldering iron has temperature control. It gets so hot that it cooks and chars the rosin in the solder which is not cleaned by wiping with a damp sponge which also might cook and char.
so what should i do i am waiting for my bday to buy a new station one that is really nice

Soldering irons that are not temperature controlled get very hot, like 750-850F. Even little 10W irons will get this hot, it just takes them longer to get there. At those temperatures you run into problems with the tip oxidizing and the flux burning off instead of melting (litlle white puffs of smoke, anyone?)
I could never keep one of these little guys clean for more than 4 or 5 minutes at a time. The oxidation that builds up is tough to get off and, even when you do, comes back in no time at all if the iron is left sitting idle.
By the time you pay for a couple of cheap tips and shipping, I'd rather spend a bit more and get a cheapy temp-controlled station. I've seen them in the $40-$50 range at places like MPJA and Howard Electronics.
Make double-sure it's a temperature-controlled station not a "power-controlled" one. My first cheapy station used a triac to adjust the voltage to the tip and wasn't worth a damn. Like I said before, even at low power, the tip will eventually heat up too much.

Weller sells 600, 700 and 800 degrees F tips for my soldering station. I tried them and selected 700 degrees. Cheap soldering irons without temperature control get much hotter, maybe as hot as 1500 or 2000 degrees F.

2000°f ...........

audioguru said:
Weller sells 600, 700 and 800 degrees F tips for my soldering station. I tried them and selected 700 degrees. Cheap soldering irons without temperature control get much hotter, maybe as hot as 1500 or 2000 degrees F.

I don't think any soldering iron goes to 2000°F, because copper melts at 1984°F..............

So a cheap soldering iron vapourizes the flux in solder and welds the wires together with its very high heat.

ok well i got quiet a few tips for this iron but my bday is in august so i will get a good soldering station. any good ones in mind i think in the range of 50 to 70 USD would be good for now maby more i will have to see how this lawn mowing biz goes

My Weller soldering station keeps the temperature of the tip constant. It doesn't have a temperature adjustment (the tips are selected for different temperatures) and it doesn't have a display. It is at least 42 years old and the same one is made today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back